Speech on Constitution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." (Winston Churchill, from a House of Commons speech on Nov. 11, 1947)

Americanism is better than plain ol' jingoism I suppose....

I have buttloads of quotes, like that Churchill one which I use almost every day (and sometimes twist it, "capitalism is the worst form of economics, except for all the rest." ) and the Franklin one, "Well Dr. Franklin, what have you given us?" "a republic, madame, if you can keep it." the problem is knowing which ones to use :)

So you think I should stress the fact that when it works out right, we don't have a system of checks and balances, we have balance.

Let me preface this by saying I have tried very hard to stay within the TOS of ScubaBoard. Obviously when talking about government we are well within the realms of politics. As such I have tried to avoid any bashing of any one political party or administration.

RJP:
In general I like it, and perhaps semantic but the idea of "keep the government in check" is a bit adversarial. We should not let the government get to the point of needing to be "checked."

While that is a fine stance to take but what happens when the government gets past this point, do we have no fall back plan? The entire point of our constitution was to keep our government in check. In fact many of the amendments in the bill of rights were designed such that if need be we would be able to overthrow our government again in the future (specifically the 2nd amendment).

RJP:
If everyone stayed involved, informed, etc the government would not get to the point of needing to be "checked."

I find it very difficult for the current citizen to stay involved when we don't even know what our government is doing or when they are lying to us. This has been done to us many times in the past and I believe this has continued into the present.

RJP:
They talk about "Americanism" and maybe that would be the answer to the problem. If we had a more involved/engaged citizenry then the government wouldn't need to be "checked"

I agree it wouldn't need to be checked as much. The unfortunate problem is many Americans now expect that the government should take care of them. This was never the intention of our founders and requires that we give our government broad powers in order to do so. I think this is a very dangerous path that we have been on for some time.

RJP:
Make "Americanism" the next MOVEMENT. Forget feminism, environmentalism, etc

Lobby for "Americanism" as the answer to all of the countries woes!

I think we need to define "Americanism" before we start lobbying for it. If you are proposing that American start taking individual responsibility for their actions and stop running to a government agency of some sort every time they have a problem. I'm all for it.

TxHockeyGuy:
Let me preface this by saying I have tried very hard to stay within the TOS of ScubaBoard. Obviously when talking about government we are well within the realms of politics. As such I have tried to avoid any bashing of any one political party or administration.
We're not debating politics or view here, we're trying to help the poor guy put together some jingoistic clap trap in pursuit of some cash for school.

My duty to the government? :rofl3:

Uh, "word up" the US of A is not a democracy; it is a republic. In a democracy the mob rules.

I think you ought to discuss how the Constitution is a "living document" that should be genetically manipulated and mutated to be whatever the prevailing wind wants it to mean. Perhaps you could discuss where the Constitution mandates separation of church and state, where it authorizes welfare and Federal control of education.

I am no fan of Alexander Hamilton but these words are oooooh soooooo trooooo ...

"The inquiry constantly is what will please not what will benefit the people. In such a government there can be nothing but temporary expedient fickleness and folly."

Edit to add: you could also mention that some members of SCrOTUS are looking to foreign courts for guidance in how to best serve our citizens and their Constitution.

Cripes.

So none of the tabbing looks right, but here is my outline :)

-History of Constitution
-when it was written
-social turmoil
-why it was needed
-who wrote it
-hotly contested
-passed only because BR added
-why people thought we needed them
-who wrote
-when passed
-Voting
-important because what our government does affects how we live!
-one vote can make a difference
-1948, Lyndon B. Johnson elected to Senate by margin of 87 votes, or 1/69th of a vote per precinct.
-1960, John F. Kennedy defeated Nixon by 113,000 votes, or one half vote per precinct.
-whom you elect can make a difference: what our government does affects our lives!
-Petitioning our government
-your voice can influence the vote of your representatives
-like getting to vote on something, twice!
-like being the voice on the shoulder as the person votes on
-taxes
-spending
-everything else they make a law about, which is everything!
-it's very practical:
-call, write, march
- story of soccer mom maybe?
-Conclusion

Duty to the government?

You must pay taxes on income (constitutional admendment); you must abide by the Commerce clause that allows the government to regulate all movement, and substance of, anything made that is to be sold; and you must abide copywrite.

JahJahwarrior:
So none of the tabbing looks right, but here is my outline :)

Blah, blah, blah...

-Conclusion

How long do you HAVE to give this speech, or is it a filibuster?

Three tips for public speaking:

Be interesting.
Be brief.
Be seated.

You need some sort of organizing principle for the whole thing. What is the central core of what you're going to say? Then wrap THREE* things around that. That's all that people can handle. You can roll things up under each of the "three things" but you've gotta have something to keep the audience on track.

I'm gonna tell you three things, from which you will conclude "X"
So in conclusion "X"

Ray

* why THREE things? It's the perfect number of "things to remember"

- Father, son, holy spirit
- Truth, justice, and the american way
- Tinkers to Evers to Chance
- Snap, Crackle, Pop
- Moe, Larry, and Curly
- Huey, Duey, and Louie
- No shoes, no shirt, no service

10 minutes. I'll be trimming alot of what I'v ewritten away, I just need a rough draft.

1- a short history of the constitution and bill of rights. I'm trying to convince you that it's an extremey important document worthy of giving our life for.
2- vote. Your vote can make a difference. no joke.
3- pester your representatives, becuase they vote too, and you can influence their vote. no joke.

to conclude, this is something very important, get out and vote, influence your rep's vote, and my generation will be ok then i suppose.

Speaking 101:

Tell them what you're gong to tell them.
Tell them.
Tell them what you told them.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom