Spectacular Week in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaholic901

Contributor
Reaction score
Went down to Key Largo last weekend and finished up the week and this past weekend in Marathon. The weather was great and the visibility was incredible all the way up until Friday when things got a little bit cloudy but still in the 50' range on the Tbolt. On Thursday we could see the entire wreck from the surface and there was no current whatsoever! Viz on the bottom was probably in excess of 100'. I've always heard of days like that but never thought I'd see it for myself. All in all we did 14 dives over the course of the week. Lots of fish, a few bugs and a whole lot of catching up to do in my logbook!

aquaholic901:
Went down to Key Largo last weekend and finished up the week and this past weekend in Marathon. The weather was great and the visibility was incredible all the way up until Friday when things got a little bit cloudy but still in the 50' range on the Tbolt. On Thursday we could see the entire wreck from the surface and there was no current whatsoever! Viz on the bottom was probably in excess of 100'. I've always heard of days like that but never thought I'd see it for myself. All in all we did 14 dives over the course of the week. Lots of fish, a few bugs and a whole lot of catching up to do in my logbook!
I'll be down there next week!
good to hear conditions are good
the thunderbolt might be a little advanced for me though
:)
I'll be in marathon and I hope to do my first night dive

I agree, the weather has been great, but a little warm.
Forecast for the this week looks like more of the same.
Yep, Just another beautiful day in the Keys.
All I need a is a Cheese-burger & something with Rum in it.

what's the water temp?
I'd like to wear my 3mil full suit if only to avoid stings (that I always seem to get down there)
too warm for it?

LiteHedded:
what's the water temp?
I'd like to wear my 3mil full suit if only to avoid stings (that I always seem to get down there)
too warm for it?

a light 3-mill is good deep, but shallow, a shorty would be fine.
water temp is mid 80's. as high as 87 some places. 83 on the Bibb at 115' today.

I want it for sting protection so a shorty wouldn't work
(plus I don't have one) :)
doesn't sound like I'll be too uncomfortable though
and i guess if i get too hot I can just let some water in the suit

After 27 years (my whole life) in FL the heat doesn't really bug me that much anymore, especially not when I'm on vacation and I have a frosty beverage in hand most of the time :) Water temps were in the high 80's (I think 85-86 was the lowest I recorded). I didn't wear a suit on any of the dives but I've worn my 3 mil in warmer water than that and been fine (then again, heat = not too big an issue for me). If you are worried about stings I'd definitely wear one though, caladryl is my new best friend this week! Enjoy your trip!

Dixons4:
who do i dive with in the keys
I dive from my own boat out of Marathon. I have been out several times with Amy Slates Amoray up in Key Largo and absolutely recommend them; very profesional operation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom