Specs/exploded diagram of old WK coalescer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottydont

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not even sure if I'm posting this question in the right place, but its worth a try....

I've got a old walter kidde filter housing and moisture separator housing just sitting around. Both are 3000 psi aluminum housings and appear to have started life as a matched pair. The filter housing is basic enough, but the moisture separator appears to have either a heater or electric purge valve built in.... I'd really like to find out more about it and confirm that it is complete and properly assembled before I try to either sell it or put it into service.

So can anybody tell me if there's a good source of information on an old coalescer like this? I have the model number and other info on the ID tag if that would help...

Thanks

I'm actually a member of Jims Yahoo group. I figured I'd try here as well though.

If Jim's the man, I'll wait for his response. I was hoping to eventually find an exploded diagram of the unit, but I know that's a pie in the sky wish.

The moisture trap you have is a very simple chamber with an inlet and outlet and a port on the bottom for a manual drain valve . It has no oil pressure controlled drain valve and no real baffle inside to improve the moisture condensation. I have looked at the pictures and also checked my Kidde manuals and this one is so old -- none of my manuals from 1972 and later even describe it
Sorry, If you are considering using it at 3000PSI it's probably OK but I sure wouldn't use it above 3300PSI
Jim Shelden

Thanks Jim, I think we got that figured out over on your yahoo group. I've actually sold the unit at this point and am waiting for payment to arrive before I ship it.

Thanks for the advice though.

This raises a question for me...

If you were to have an old tower like this hydro tested what tolerances would/should be applied? Same allowable permanent deformation as an AL80 cylinder or something different?

I would not expect the unit to test as well as an early aluminum SCUBA cylinder. These were original military 4 to 1 safety factor on the design, but there are no records that I have seen concerning cycle testing. I have not had one like this but have seen the similar construction on the Stewart Warner flame thrower compressors and the SW breathing air units. They had a manual drain valve on the bottom. If it did not appear to be in pristine physical condition( No deep scratches or dents) --it's probably OK for 3000PSI but otherwise I'd throw it away
Jim

Back
Top Bottom