Specific cold spot in my drysuit no matter undergarments.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfwoodvt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Been experiencing coldspots in my drysuit no matter what I wear for an undergarment and the cold spot temperature doesn't seem to change whether the water is 35* or 60*

I have two sets of undergarments, a 450gm Thinsulate DUI jump suit as well as Polartech power stretch 300 two layers of tops and bottoms.

The cold spots appear dead center chest up to my neck and only my right forearm, outside just below the elbow.
At first I thought the chest was due to no collar on the undergarments but I ran a collared fleece vest to test that theory without solving the problem.

The arm is also perplexing me as that chilliness comes and goes during the dive.

Can't say that either one correlates to squeeze, though the chest is under my ranger harness so that may inhibit airflow.

Initially I thought I would get cold but that never really happens. It's kind of like leaning your arm on a cold car window; chilly but not making you cold.

Anyhow, just curious how common this may be with other drysuit divers and what your thoughts may be on what's going on, whether I should worry about addressing it, and if so, how.

Thanks

Is it wet? Chest might be where the dry/cold cylinder gas is injecting into your suit. I’d guess arm is a pinhole or larger leak.

Is it wet? Chest might be where the dry/cold cylinder gas is injecting into your suit. I’d guess arm is a pinhole or larger leak.
Believe it or not I get the same cold spots in both of my TLS drysuits. Both are recently back from DUI and both had the cold spots right out of the box.

Dampness might be a factor, though, as I do sweat heavily in my neck and chest and, as I sit here in a hot humid office I am noticing my forearms sweat heavy too.

Also, good thought on the air injection being a possibility for the chest. Will have to look at that.

I'm diving tomorrow so I'll pay attention to it.

Once you eliminate wet move to fit of the suit and trim/weight. Fit and weight can cause to much of a bubble which will pull the lower areas tight compressing the insulation.

Went out this morning for a couple hours. Noticed a few things. First was there seemed to be a slight trickle seepage along my arm when I first entered the water. Anchored myself to the bottom (8-feet deep) added air and moved the bubble to that arm to look for any leaks. Full arm was inflated but no escaping air.

Second thing I noticed was after about 20 minutes I felt what seemed to be dampness creeping down my neck from throat to chest just above my nipple line. It came and went throughout the dive but never progressed below my nipple line.

Upon completion of the dive, about 2 hours, my undergarments seemed to be relatively dry in all areas, including the chest and that one spot on my arm.

I do think that I may have seepage down my neck seal as I have a very short neck and getting that sucker to lay flat is damn near impossible.

I'm not convinced it is seepage though as I would have expected it to continue to seep throughout the dive and after 2 hours I would have expected much wetter undergarments.

What are you wearing for a BC?
How's your neck seal fit? What's your posture like normally, and how does it change when you're diving?
How's your BC fit? Is one side tighter?
Do you have a cervical rib? Any problems with your neck?
Have you had any neurologic problems in the past?

I had an annoying leak that appeared to be around my waist. Even checked my pee valve.

After loads of searching, and by pure accident, I discovered a pinprick hole in the front of neck seal close to the suit. Discovered by putting a bowl in the neck and inflating the suit. Was only my damp hand that felt the leak — it didn’t bubble when sprayed with soapy water.

What are you wearing for a BC?
How's your neck seal fit? What's your posture like normally, and how does it change when you're diving?
How's your BC fit? Is one side tighter?
Do you have a cervical rib? Any problems with your neck?
Have you had any neurologic problems in the past?
Problems? Neuroisis perhaps, but none neurological. LOL :yeahbaby:

Physiologically it may well be an neck issue, I have what my friends have always called a "Bull" neck, wide and short. 17.5 inches circumference but can barely get three fingers between my collarbone and jawbone. also have a neck beard that is ever present even after shaving.

What is odd is that the seeping sensation comes and goes though now that you mention posture I'll see if there is a correlation to that. Seem to recall that the sensation onto the chest begins once I go horizontal in the water.

Since it is happening with both suits and BCs (I run a ranger ltd,btw) I'm not thinking you may be onto something specific to my neck...may need to run a tighter neck seal.

Your beard. Look at the soft seals that goes between your neck and the seal. It’s a soft silicone. Don’t know the brand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom