Species of Scorpion fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After never seeing a spotted scorpion fish up here in the northern gulf....two weekends in a row, have found one. This one was at the liberty ship off of Destin Florida. Depth was around 90 ft (so much for the fish ID book)...

sc_fish_2011_06_50.jpg

The next dive was inshore, where the normal ones we see are:

sc_fish_2011_06_51.jpg

sc_fish_2011_06_52.jpg

I love the purple scorpion fish!

I spent an hour photographing two huge lancer dragonettes only to learn that they were actually Juvy scorpionfish. They were still neat. I was taking pictures of one about 2 inches long when his great grand dad came over and sat down beside my knee to get his picture taken. This guy was a foot long and really wanted to get to know me.

I found a peppermint shrimp I wanted to photograph, but I think he was cleaning a spotted moray, because everytime I went to tease out the shrimp, the moray came out with his mouth WIDE open. Finallly get the shrimp out and my camera battery is DEAD! @#%^@#^

Then I started getting attacked by Grey Angelfish and I started getting spooked! Found out later they were just trying to clean me and my camera.

You just never know at Blue Heron!

Bill

Between different countries the colors are changing. Perhaps because of the camouflage to the environment.

The scientific name is Scorpaenopsis barbata (Rüppell, 1838) the common name is Bearded scorpion fish

A beautiful species of the Scorpaenopsis family.

scubadiveilat, interesting take on that fish. Here it is called Scorpaena plumieri (Bloch, 1789). Looking at the images, would be willing to bet they are the same fish. Fish identification has come a long way in the last 100 years (I hope).

But even the family name is different... Scorpaeridae, how odd.

Back
Top Bottom