Special permissions for posting on classifieds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And then no one will trust you. But, you do you.
Why would anyone not trust a person simply for not posting? You and I are not millenials & I certainly dont need attention (quite happy with who I am!)
What happened to the days when you had something to sell, posted in the classified and people that were interested contacted you.
What happened to a gentlemans handshake, honesty & trust?!
What has happened to the world. It certainly has gone backwards....

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (I've only been here a few years) but my understanding is that the primary point of SB is to be a platform for members to discuss things scuba. The classified section is meant to be a bonus for members.

As to why someone wouldn't trust someone who hasn't meaningfully contributed by posting, there have been several instances of scams in the past.

If your primary reason of being here is to sell things, I'd suggest using a platform designed for selling like eBay or Faceboook marketplace.

Why would anyone not trust a person simply for not posting? You and I are not millenials & I certainly dont need attention (quite happy with who I am!)
What happened to the days when you had something to sell, posted in the classified and people that were interested contacted you.
What has happened to the world. It certainly has gone backwards....
All good questions, but the answer as far as SB is concerned is that we get some scum bags.

We do our best to weed them out, we get most, not all. We’re trying to do better.

Enter the internet scammer, devoid of honesty or empathy. They act like your friend until they get your money, and then they vanish. Poof. They don't want to put in the time to connect with a community, but just take the money and run. Regulations, like having to have a certain post count will eliminate most of them, because they are just too lazy. The more someone posts, the more likely you'll be able to detect someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

The big problem with buying/selling on the internet is that there is no physical handshake. You don't get to look the seller in the eye and you don't get to physically inspect the product.

Also beware the helpful person who gives you an email to contact to get your stuff. The price will be just too good, and your money will vanish along with the user. This has been a recent scam, so please beware.

If the only reason to come here is to sell your crap, please go to ebay or craigslist. ScubaBoarders will find you there as well. We want to deal with friends here.

If you want to be mostly certain you're dealing with someone who cares about the community, then look for a post count in the 100s, and also look for someone who supports the community, or has "gone red". Like this:

1729341455022.png

If you want to be mostly certain you're dealing with someone who cares about the community, then look for a post count in the 100s, and also look for someone who supports the community, or has "gone red". Like this:

I disagree.
I contacted backscatter asking them how/ where to sell or post a classified advert as I live in a country where very few divers use equipment that I have for sale and thus limiting the buyers to the Cape.
They recommended Scubaboard (I'd never heard of the website before then in my 30+ years of diving)
Its only now that I'm wanting to advertise on a reputable site within the diving community that I've set up an account.
Im also not the kind of person/ diver that sits every day reading and commenting on news/ notice boards. Maybe there are people out there that need that kind of validation but im not one of them.
I absolutely detest Fakebook & Instascam as well as other social media platform maybe because im knocking on the door of 50 I consider myself old school where a handshake (physically or not) actually means something. Id rather read a book instead of sitting for hours aimlessly commenting on topics. Thats just me....
I hear you when you say there are scammers out there however I grew up treating others the way that I want to be treated. With honesty and respect. And with that Im a firm believer in Karma. How you treat others comes back to you. Im only responsible for myself, my own actions and how I react to others that come into my space. How others behave and what they do is their business.

So in a nutshell if I need to ask something that I cant find out from a commercial operation where I live and there are kind people on forums like this I'll ask. However its rare that one would need to so in my 49yrs of my amazing life I've never connected to forums like this. Ive simply had no need to until now, where I was recommended to post in the classifieds by backscatter

Anyhow wish you well. :)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (I've only been here a few years) but my understanding is that the primary point of SB is to be a platform for members to discuss things scuba. The classified section is meant to be a bonus for members.

As to why someone wouldn't trust someone who hasn't meaningfully contributed by posting, there have been several instances of scams in the past.

If your primary reason of being here is to sell things, I'd suggest using a platform designed for selling like eBay or Faceboook marketplace.
You don't get out much, do you?
haha I do hence me not being on message boards every evening :wink:
Maybe the recomendation from Backscatter was not correct so I will email the guys back and give them some insight as to my experience.
Wish you all the best...

Amazing thanks for that advice :wink:

Back
Top Bottom