Spearing on the Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPENDERGRAST

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha my western friends!

I will be in Kona this December with my family, and plan on doing some diving there. I've already booked a spot for the Manta Ray night dive since I didn't do it last time, and have also booked a boat trip during the day to go out with my wife and brother-in-law.

I would like to take my speargun and spear an Ulua, Uhu, or maybe even a Wahoo to cook for the family one night. I know that spearfishing can be a sensitive issue for some locals, but wanted to get some opinions from any locals who would be willing to share their opinions. On the same note, if anyone would be interested in referring any spearfishing charters, good places to spearfish, or showing me where I can find a list of restricted sites, that would be much appreciated. Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to post any "honey holes" :cool2:

Thanks to all!

I've been in their shop when I've been to Kona in the past, and if I can't find anywhere to go for free, I'm going to charter a boat with them. They're a great group. Thanks for the info though!

+1 for Rob at Bluewater Hunter. He's a super nice guy, great videographer, and knows everything there is to know about poking fish.

Even if you don't charter with him I'm sure he would be happy to give you the scoop on spearing from shore.

-Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom