Speargun Hunter TV series on the Outdoor Channel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dang, I just missed it, unless it's on for an hour.

The second show was shot in Key West area and was great!

They showed much of the original documentary and some new scenes too.

Chad shooting a black in a cave and then crawing in after it. Dragging it out long after Terry Maas has taken off for the surface. Terry did a super job taping it while he ascends, and on the whole show.

Sheri blasts a yellow tail and drags it up fighting, and makes an aspetto shot on a nice mangrove snapper!

Next week they head way offshore in the Gulf of Mexico.

Cool show!

Chad

Also on sunday mornings they also have a show on about spearfishing and it showed alot of different stuff on it. All they do on that show is freediving.

I was disappointed with last night show. First Sheri loaded her gun in the boat which doesn't bother me much but I have always been told to only load in the water.

Then they shoot several Bonito to feed to the Cuda. To me that is wrong cause it is like given fish to sharks when they come near you. To me that imprints to the cuda that divers have fish to give them.

Maybe the laws are different around the Dept. of Defense tower than around rigs here in on the Texas Coast. There were like 100 yds from the tower and swam to the tower. When we are diving rigs we tie off to the rigs and then we don't have to swim so far. If the rigs have no tie off signs we will live boat them were we get close an then get out of the boat and then let the boat drift away. There are some rigs have sign saying to stay back 100' but with those we normally down even dive on.

Scott,

I've heard it is available on Brighthouse, but you have to buy a small package of sports channels.

I just caught it at a sports bar.

Michael,

Freedivers often load there guns while sitting on the boat. They are careful to keep them pointed outboard. Unlike scuba diving where most guns are hip loaded at any time, most freediving guns require chest loading, and it takes a little time to recover from it. They don't want to miss a shot when they first slip in, so they load... relax... breathe up onboard and quietly slip overboard, ready to dive and shoot. It's even more important in current. Take a pole of freedivers, and you'll see it's widely done.

Bonita and many other fish, caught on hook & line, usually get hit by cudas while reeling them up. It happens to scuba divers occasionally too, if they are too high in the water column. I've lost 3 nice jacks by making that mistake. Freedivers don't have a lot of choice, and as you saw sharks and cudas will come after your fish if you don't protect them.

The producer created some action for the camera. It made the show more exciting. Where I saw the show, the people loved it. Of course they thought it was ballsy that Sheri ran off the shark too!

I guess that's the entertainment business. I'm thrilled to see a high quality spearfishing show like Speargun Hunter.

Chad

Chad,
Thanks for the information. I didn't think about the reloading and recover time.

I protect my fish I try to keep them close to me. I haven't had any taken from me yet but I am sure if I dive enough I will. I did have a buddy loose a nice snapper last summer to a Cuba last year. And I did come face to face with cuda go after one of my snapper but I ran him off.

It was a little exciting to watch the cuda.

Maybe I need to get a video camera and see if I can get a scuba shooter on cable.

I did like when Sheri ran off the shark. That is the kind of buddy to have.

i was kinda glad to see them feeding bonito to cudas, as a hook and line fisherman as well, im tired of those damn things! good episode last monday night, (1/15) id like to see another camera man in the water as well, i think the footage would be better. A few times, they have shot fish and the viewers didnt get to see the shot. they just heard it and then the camera swings over to the shooter and the viewer only gets to see the fight. I enjoy watching them stalk, then shoot the fish. Chad Carney, you seem to love this show, are u sure ur not Chad Palan with a fake screen name? jk. As for the safety nuts out there, as chad said, keep an eye on where the gun is pointed. a loaded gun is only dangerous if its pointed at something, if is pointed overboard and it goes off, big deal. I understand the concern, but Chad and Sheri are pros and its second nature to them to keep their guns pointed overboard. Ive rolled off the boat to find grouper underneath me that did not stick around long enough for me to load up so i completely understand loading on the boat (safely!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom