Speargun Hunter TV series on the Outdoor Channel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad Carney

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Unfortunately I missed last night's first TV show, but I've seen Ronin Berg's "Speargun Hunter" documentary, which won best of show at the Temecula Film Festival a few months back, and heard some of it was the same high quality footage filmed by Dr. Terry Maas.

Sheri Daye shooting and dragging up a cobia, Chad Palan spearing and yanking gag grouper from a wreck is first class spearfishing filming!

Some others to star will be Art Pinder, Mark Labocetta, Daryl Wong & more.

The series is on Mondays run three times a day for the next six months.
Eastern Times are 6:30 PM / 11:00 PM / 2 AM
Pacific Times are 3:30 PM / 8:00 PM / 11:00 PM

Here's the link: http://outdoorchannel.com/showinfo....Desc&ShowID=654

I'm not going to miss another show!

Chad

Are they scuba diving or freediving?

Saw it for the first time today. It looks OK and on the outdoor channel it might hit a wide audience. It will be interesting to see if there is a crossover from the traditional mainstays of the outdoor channels, guns, hunting, rod fishing, and 4 wheeling. Production on the open ocean could make for some mighty boring or confusing visuals for those not used to beneath the surface activity. I hope it is a success.

I like to hunt and fish and like spearfishing. My friends that hunt and fish and then later took up diving all wanted to spearfish. It combined all three of the sports they enjoy. I don't recall any of my hook and bullet buddies that took up diving that has not taken up spearfishing. Works good for me as I have a ready source of folks to sell my spearguns to when I want to upgrade mine.

i think its a pretty good idea for a show. id really like to see a little more action (the last drop they just showed some friggin nurse sharks sitting on the sand) and i think they should include tips and instruction. Stalkin tips, gear tips, etc.

Speargun Hunter is all freediving, with spearfishing world record holding and multiple tournament winning divers.

When describing his transition from scuba to freediving decades ago, Terry Maas stated his opinion that shooting fish on scuba was not very sporting, especially in California.

I can't speak about Dr. Maas, but I know Sheri Daye very well. She has no issues with scuba spearfishermen, and still spears fish on scuba herself when deep. She prefers freediving when the depth is right and she's a very good shooter both ways.

Chad Palan only freedives and he's incredible, but he has no quarrel with scuba spearos either.

Not too worry, there is plenty of action coming! They only showed the first segment of the documentary, although it was all great HD underwater filming, all shot while freediving. They had to save plenty of action for later shows.

There is a good amount of learning to be gleened from watching world class spearos in action, but most of it's not geared towards beginners. This show's intent is not instructional, but there is much more coming with the divers and captains talking about their guns, prey and the habitat where they are shooting.

I've been spearing longer than Chad and Sheri, but I picked up several tips already... and watching them is simply amazing!

Sheri just filmed another show for the Outdoor Learning Network, OLN, where she taught a couple to spearfish in the Dry Tortugas... a Gander Mountain VP and his wife. That should be breaking this spring too.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom