Spearfishing with scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove on Guam in the Marianas for 40 years. There the larger fish could easily go deeper than you can free dive. It is their escape. When we dove on scuba, deep, the fish were much bigger, far less active and easier to shoot. We were also shooting the adults that would have spawn more fish. On an island, shooting the big fish daily, can, and has depleted the fish population. That should alert the mainland USA enough to regulate how fish are harvested so we have a good population for our grandchildren. Adventure-Ocean

Again, regulations and limits. Florida still has big fish because the US can afford to enforce the fisheries laws. And I agree, deep scuba diving on mixed gas will give you a good chance of landing huge grouper that never see divers and are so big they aren't afraid anyway. And since protecting the Goliath Grouper, the fish has made a huge comeback.
BUT, overall, I disagree with your statement that "spearing fish on scuba is much easier". Some species, yes...but most, no.

Back
Top Bottom