Spearfishing with a rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I have never spearfished but I have always been intrigued. Given that I have picked up rebreather diving, I am wondering if there are people combining the 2 and, in that case, what are the safety practices they follow.

I am not questioning the fairness of this activity and not even considering it for myself but would like to learn if it's possible and what is involved. Thanks.

In FL:

"The use of powerheads, bangsticks, and rebreathers remains prohibited."
Just a note of clarification.

This is true for FL State waters. I've seen conflicting things about the legality in US Federal waters. And even some where it is legal for certain species but not for others. Or in certain areas versus others.

Knowing what I know about the various Fishery Councils, I don't think there's one answer. As an example, the following is from 50 CFR 622.180

"(b) Rebreathers and spearfishing gear. In the South Atlantic EEZ, a person using a rebreather may not harvest South Atlantic snapper-grouper with spearfishing gear. The possession of such snapper-grouper while in the water with a rebreather is prima facie evidence that such fish was harvested with spearfishing gear while using a rebreather."

More breathing action than I would be like to be involved in diving a rebrether

...., what are the safety practices they follow.
And that's the biggest problem that lawmakers are worried about. Since you run an RB, you know how dangerous it is if you get distracted and uncontrolled breathing especially deep. Struggling with a rocked up wounded fish that is holed up in a wreck or reef hole combined with a pack of sharks trying to force you up & away is just a recipe for an RB accident. That's really the main reason it's not allowed. Just like you can drive a car at 90mph, lawmakers try to keep people off the evening news stories by restricting what you do.

I have touched touched snook and hogfish with my bare hand.
I’ve done the same on scuba. Hardly definitive evidence. Spearing snook is not legal, so they have no reason to fear divers. A lot of Hogfish are real dumb and get real close.

I know close to nothing about rebreathers, but I know a bit about spearfishing. I would first learn to spearfish without the rebreather, unless it is something like a lionfish hunt which should be low exertion and stress - at least as long as you avoid getting spined.

Spearfishing can get pretty complicated very quickly. Also, I would be somewhat more concerned about shark attack on a rebreather; sharks have a good bit of natural apprehension for bubble blowers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom