Spearfishing techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Irregulator

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have spoken to a couple of spearos on another thread about spearfishing outfits to use for a novice spearfisherman but I really would like to know a few things before I go so I don't look too idiotic :). Can anyone advise me of the proper procedure for entering the water with the gun? Anyone particular type of speartips recommended? Any method of descent with the gun? Distance from target recommended? Any method for stringing the fish advisable and keeping the gun in reach while dealing with fish?

Thanks,
David

Hey, David,

They type and size of gun is going to depend on what you're hunting. If you're taking fish from the bottom in decent viz, you may want to try a Biller 48, or similar model. The biggest thing about picking a gun is finding one you'll grow into. You'll hear all kinds of recommendations on brand, but find one at your local shop where you can get replacement parts and add-ons. I use a thick "rock" tip, angled on three sides. It's fixed to the shaft, not attached with a wire.

On getting into the water, there's a few way to do it, and you'll hear a lot of them. When I'm diving, I attach my gun to me via a four foot bungee afixed to a snap link. Before rolling off the gunwhale, I drop the gun in. I've also held it and rolled in. Either way works good,but I like the hand's off the bungee provides.

These are the things that work wtih me. In reality, you'll find your own way after trying all the crazy ideas guys like me will post. So don't worry about it too much. Get what you like and enjoy it. Just don't shoot anything that's blowing bubbles.

Irregulator
You will be better off going to www.spearboard.com and searching through the post there, as that is the main topic on that board.
The main thing is to be safe and have fun with it.

Irregulator:
I have spoken to a couple of spearos on another thread about spearfishing outfits to use for a novice spearfisherman but I really would like to know a few things before I go so I don't look too idiotic :). Can anyone advise me of the proper procedure for entering the water with the gun? Anyone particular type of speartips recommended? Any method of descent with the gun? Distance from target recommended? Any method for stringing the fish advisable and keeping the gun in reach while dealing with fish?

Thanks,
David

I don't spearfish, yet, but the one thing I hear the captains remind the spearos over and over is 1) do not arm the gun while on the boat, and 2) Never approach the boat with an armed gun. Kind of common sense, but apparently it is repeated for a reason.

paulwall:
I don't spearfish, yet, but the one thing I hear the captains remind the spearos over and over is 1) do not arm the gun while on the boat, and 2) Never approach the boat with an armed gun. Kind of common sense, but apparently it is repeated for a reason.
You are so rite Paul. And it is a good thing to start out with a pole spear to get use to stalking and shooting fish.
IMO.

algulfdiver:
You are so rite Paul. And it is a good thing to start out with a pole spear to get use to stalking and shooting fish.
IMO.

Yep. I've learned even with a pole spear that shot placement is crucial. Also, being able to judge sizes at 6'.

Bah...

I haven't shot fish in months, I stocked up on flounder big time before the water got cold. I'm looking forward to finishing them off(two bags to go). The sheepshead are thick and I'm itching to take some.

Back
Top Bottom