Spearfishing Seminar At Divers Supply In Tampa, Florida On August 8th 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone interested in spear-fishing? :yeahbaby:

My local lds, Divers Supply, is going to be holding a seminar. I really like this shop and they are only getting bigger and better. Anywho, this is from Kevin Bruington:

For the first time in many years, I have decided to schedule a spearfishing seminar in the middle of the summer. I stopped doing seminars in the summer (4 years ago) because we are so busy during this time. However, Divers Supply has stepped up in a big way for us and they have agreed to become a full line "stocking" dealer for us. This location will be stocking a full line of guns, shafts, tips, bands, & accessories. This is very important because we want our customers to have easy access to our products at stores who keep the products in stock.

For the first time ever, our Florida sales manager Rick Holmlund and I will be teaming up for a seminar. Rick will be doing an intermediate level presentation from 6:00 to 7:30 and I will take over for the advanced portion of the seminar (after the dinner break) from 7:45 to 10:30 pm.

This seminar will take place at Divers Supply in Tampa, Florida on Wednesday August 8th. The seminar will start promptly at 6:00 PM and end around 10:30 PM. The fee for this seminar will be $25.00 for adults and $15.00 for children (16 & under) when accompanied by an adult. The entry fee includes pizza and beverages from 7:30 to 7:45. We will also have several door prizes which will include one of our new Ocean Rhino Speagun bags.

This seminar will likely be capped at around 40 shooters. If you plan to attend, please make sure to sign up early (asap) so you don't get shut out. You must call the store to reserve a seat. They will take your credit card info and reserve you a spot. This is the contact info and address for the store.

Divers Supply
4349 Gunn Highway
Tampa, Florida 33618
Ph: 813-969-3480

Due to the time constraints of an evening seminar, we are going to set a more rigid time schedule for this seminar and focus on a few of the more popular spearfishing topics like freeshafting & understanding proper shot placement & shot angle. I will demonstrate these techniques using our Red Snapper shot model and those great Fishkilla underwater video shots. These Fishkilla videos have become a very powerful teaching tool for us and I can't imagine how we ever did a seminar without them.

Here is a basic time schedule and list of topics we plan to cover in this seminar.

Rick Holmlund (6:00 to 7:30)
1) Selecting the proper speargun (type & size)
2) Benefits & features of a basic speargun (line types)
3) Shafts, tips, & bands (types & variations)
4) Stringers and stringing technique

Kevin Bruington (Spear One)
1) Commercial Freeshaft Guns (benefits & features)
2) Shot model demonstration (placement & angle)
3) Fishkilla video presentation (actual underwater shots)
4) Q&A session.

Rick and I are really looking forward to this seminar. There is going to be a lot of information thrown at you in a very short period of time. Hopefully everyone will have a good time and maybe pick up a few tips that will improve your skills and make your spearfishing experience more successful & enjoyable. Hope to see you there!

North American Distributor For:
Sea Hornet Spearguns &
Ocean Rhino Spearfishing Accessories

To locate a dealer: spearspecialties@aol.com

I definitely recommend this to everyone who wants to shoot....i attended one that was given by Rick and i learned alot. I've become a way better shooter from practicing their techniques for stalking and shot placement. I've also switched to freeshafting which they will be explaining......great class. I'm actually going to this one also since this is the shop i buy from and I want to get the advanced portion from Kevin........this should be a great class.....hope everyone makes it....

My son may also be attending this one :yeahbaby: Anything to get him back in the water :)

I was up at Diver's supply yesterday and Kevin came in dropping off a shipment of shafts, stringers, etc. Anyway i ended up selling my 42" rhino classic to a buddy early in the week and now i have a 52" rhino classic with the commercial muzzle (go to the class and you'll know what this is). It comes with the spareshaft holder and commercial band set. I also picked up their one handed stringer and clip (great design). Also picked up a freeshaft (you'll learn this also). So now i'm ready to slay some big fish.......bigger gun, bigger fish.......so for all of you planning on learning to spearfish.....don't buy a little gun and think it's ok......i promise you'll want a bigger one before it's all over.....you just cannot go wrong with the spearfishing specialties 52" rhino classic with the commercial muzzle.....great gun for anyone....

not sure what this post is about, other then i'm just bored....

tampausmc:
I was up at Diver's supply yesterday and Kevin came in dropping off a shipment of shafts, stringers, etc. Anyway i ended up selling my 42" rhino classic to a buddy early in the week and now i have a 52" rhino classic with the commercial muzzle (go to the class and you'll know what this is). It comes with the spareshaft holder and commercial band set. I also picked up their one handed stringer and clip (great design). Also picked up a freeshaft (you'll learn this also). So now i'm ready to slay some big fish.......bigger gun, bigger fish.......so for all of you planning on learning to spearfish.....don't buy a little gun and think it's ok......i promise you'll want a bigger one before it's all over.....you just cannot go wrong with the spearfishing specialties 52" rhino classic with the commercial muzzle.....great gun for anyone....

not sure what this post is about, other then i'm just bored....

Sweet!!!!! Don't think I have frgotten about you. I am trying to work out someone to watch the boat while we go slay some fishies. I need to get my gun out. I could eat some fresh fish!!!!:D

So my son and I are definitely signed up for this :) Maybe I will finally get to taste Hogfish :yeahbaby:

This is coming up pretty quick. For anyone that is coming from here, which I know is quite a few, we are planning a get together afterward. I can't remember the name of the pub but it is right next to DS and will begin right after the seminar. C U then. :)

A couple of us were talking about possibly seeing if aaron would let us fry some fish up there during the seminar, but i think the plan is Sam's Pizza (which is great also). I think everyone needs to try some hog some day though. I have about 3 pounds in the freezer and probably 4 pounds fresh that i was hoping i could whip up for the group and i know others like Jay (works at the shop) and Mike Batcho (charter captain) probably have tons of fish just waiting to be cooked up....Got a 19 1/2 inch hog today, along with about 4 others, a scamp grouper, sheepshead, and a trigger. another great day.....everyone who doesn't shoot is definitely missing out.....

tampausmc:
A couple of us were talking about possibly seeing if aaron would let us fry some fish up there during the seminar, but i think the plan is Sam's Pizza (which is great also). I think everyone needs to try some hog some day though. I have about 3 pounds in the freezer and probably 4 pounds fresh that i was hoping i could whip up for the group and i know others like Jay (works at the shop) and Mike Batcho (charter captain) probably have tons of fish just waiting to be cooked up....Got a 19 1/2 inch hog today, along with about 4 others, a scamp grouper, sheepshead, and a trigger. another great day.....everyone who doesn't shoot is definitely missing out.....

OMG, I am so dying to taste hogfish! Can u believe I have never had it? Looks like Wednesday is going to be some good fun.

And just wait, it won't be long before I have a gun :yeahbaby:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom