spearfishing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

younggun

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm heading down to Marathon Key for my spring break and have borrowed a speargun from a family freind. This gun is about 20 in overall and is powered by two bands and has a 4ft line which i am thinking about making longer towards maybe 10 ft. I am woundering what size of fish I should be able to take with this rig. I was thinking about some snapper around the reefs, maybe grouper if i can find some, maybe a medium sized 'Cuda for shark bait, idk. Any suggestions on any of this?

You'd have to go after some of the smaller snappers with that size gun. Increasing the line length might not be useful, because you'd be limited by the range of the gun, not the length of the line. You'll also need a FL non-resident fishing license. I think they have 3 day ones that are pretty reasonable. Be real careful with the regulations and stuff. There are certain places in the keys you can't use a speargun, but I'm not sure where.

Good luck!

PS Welcome to the board!

yah, thats kinda what i figured, the guns kinda a pos, but il take what i can get. Ill probably just stick to some wrecks and docks where i saw some nice 16 in snappers last year. And maybe il even see the beautiful hammerhead we saw fishing there too:shark:

I'm heading down to Marathon Key for my spring break and have borrowed a speargun from a family freind. This gun is about 20 in overall and is powered by two bands and has a 4ft line which i am thinking about making longer towards maybe 10 ft. I am woundering what size of fish I should be able to take with this rig. I was thinking about some snapper around the reefs, maybe grouper if i can find some, maybe a medium sized 'Cuda for shark bait, idk. Any suggestions on any of this?

younggun, click on "Forums" and scroll down to "Underwater Hunting" you may find some Florida divers to answer your questions.

Also, search the web for "SpearBoard" a site just about spearfishing, many of the posters there are in Florida, You must learn where you can and cannot spearfish. And you must know their dive flag laws. Learn the applicable laws before you get in the waters, because the penalties are stiff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom