Spearfishing on oil rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad,

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot a Cobia yet, but have shot three AJs so far (two over 40") without any major problems. I'm going to pick up three shafts from a guy who can't spear anymore, and plan on buying a slip tip for one of those shafts, but don't think I'll get them by this weekend.

Doug,

Triggers taste great, and are hard to fillet,,, if you don't know how to fillet them. It's actually pretty easy though; The best way I've found to cook them is with the skin on, using mayo as part of my rub / baste. With the mayo on the fish, the skin will seperate when you cook it, and slide right off when the meat is done.

Triggerfish skin reminds me of a shark's skin if that gives you any idea of how tough it is.

Cobia are a ball of fighting muscle! Try to get a good kill shot if you can (yeah, I know.....no kidding Captain Obvious).

Last edited:
Those triggers were 1st & 2nd in the 2003 Hell Diver Rodeo, shot by Gary Pequet. They were about 14 & 12 lbs.

* Always string triggers out the mouth, never thru the eyes... or you'll lose some meat when they bite you!*

They are great to eat, and not that hard to fillet, tou just don't get a lot of fillet.

A few other pics from 2003, my 1st HDR:
HDR King "The Rok"
My 1st place Sheepshead 10lb11oz
My 5 Champ SH stringer.
The HDR shirt that year was one of the best! "Where Size Does Matter!" (Cover the right side of the pic - the hammerhead's head & look again.)

Attachments

• P1010125 lw.JPG
    P1010125 lw.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 82
  • KingLouis&drenching.jpg
    KingLouis&drenching.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 10-lb-11-oz-1st-Sheepshead-.jpg
    10-lb-11-oz-1st-Sheepshead-.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 77
  • CC-Champ-Sheepshead-2003.jpg
    CC-Champ-Sheepshead-2003.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 73
  • HDR-2003-lw.jpg
    HDR-2003-lw.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
dang triggers hate them sun a betchs

To the OP,

It's a good idea to have a pair of dikes (diagonal side cutting pliers aka wire cutters-not the other kind) attached to you too. You never know what sort of line or wire you might run into down there. I like wear an old pair of coveralls either over or in liue of my wetsuit.

c

Last edited:
Chad, those oil rigs aren't off St Pete somewhere are they? Thought they are only up by the panhandle...

No rigs off Tampa Bay yet... I dove TX & LA in several Hell Diver Rodeos and MS in an AL Open.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom