Spearfishing Monterey area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mpoberg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So...I have been trying to wrap my brain around where i can and cant spearfish in the vicinity of Monterrey. I live in Gilroy and would like to take the easy trip down there instead of always driving 3.5hours to the north coast. My new gun is still shinny and new. I need to stick some fish. Would anyone like to make a trip? Show me oh wise one. SMCA,SMR,CNN,TNT,LSD...What? anyone have a map that is clear? Lets do this! Thanks -Matt

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/ccmpas041907north.pdf
California Department of Fish & Game, Marine Life Protection Act, Central Coast Marine Protected Areas

Allow me to do the hard work for you:

SMCA: it is unlawful to injure, damage, take or posses any specified living, geological or cultural marine resources for certain commercial, recreational, or a combination of commercial and recreational purposes. In general, any commercial and/or recreational uses that would compromise protection of the species of interest, natural community, habitat or geological features may be restricted by the designating entity or managing agency. ALLOWED: research, education and recreational activities, and certain commercial and recreational harvest of marine resources may be permitted.

SMR: it is unlawful to injure, damage, take or possess any living, geological or cultural marine resource, except under a permit or specific authorization from the managing agency for research, restoration or monitoring purposes. While, to the extent feasible, the area shall be open to the public for managed enjoyment and study, the area shall be maintained to the extent practicable in an undisturbed and unpolluted state. Therefore, access and use (such as walking, swimming, boating and diving) may be restricted to protect marine resources. ALLOWED: research, restoration and monitoring may be permitted by the managing agency. Educational activities and other forms of non-consumptive human use may be permitted by the designating entity or managing agency in a manner consistent with the protection of all marine resources.

Doc Rickets SMCA: All take is prohibited except: The recreational take of finfish by hook-and-line is allowed.
Lovers Pt SMR: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited.
Pacific Grove SMCA: All take prohibited except: The recreational take of finfish is allowed. (spearing may be OK)
Asilomar SMR: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited.
etc.

In summary, SMR = no, SMCA = maybe, with exceptions.

Argggg... OK. Is there a place i can go that will not be a hike down a clif and is also a nice dive?

Point Lobos, no hiking down a cliff for nice diving.
I dare someone visiting Lobos to pull out a spear gun in front of Ranger Chuck
11.gif
Might be the first time Chuck gets to pull out his gun :eyebrow:

I find these regulations pretty hard to understand exactly where it's ok to spear and where not. That said it seems like Del Monte Beach in Monterey allows spear fishing. I have heard you can get halibut there.

Last edited:
I dare someone visiting Lobos to pull out a spear gun in front of Ranger Chuck
11.gif
Might be the first time Chuck gets to pull out his gun :eyebrow:
Just nice diving no spearing

I suggest if you're interested in shooting fish, you check over at spearboard. There don't seem to be a lot of local hunters who hang around here. Anyway, isn't it more of a triumph if you had to hike down a cliff?

Back
Top Bottom