Spearfishing around the world - what's allowed and what's acceptable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uh... right to bear arms has nothing to do with hunting.

It is a culture thing. There is a completely different set of attitudes and values about what is normal about shooting stuff, both above and below the water and the instruments involved.

A speargun being "a right to bear arms issue" is a bit of a stretch. It's practically medieval in application.

I just thought he was making a joke, which I thought was funny.

for Hawaii:
Fishing with spears allowed for all fishes, but must follow minimum size for spearing of certain species, closed seasons and other restrictions. Unlawful to spear any crustacean (except introduced freshwater prawn), turtle or aquatic mammal at any time.

---------- Post added November 4th, 2015 at 07:47 AM ----------

Colorado:
http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/fishing.pdf
Underwater spearfishing, archery and gigs may be used statewide for the taking of carp and northern pike, except as prohibited by these regulations or land management agencies.
East of the Continental Divide, gizzard shad and white or long-nose suckers may also be taken, unless otherwise prohibited in “Special Regulations for Fishing Waters,” pages 10-35. Other fish may be taken when authorized for specific waters in the regulation section.
…
Additional restrictions apply to underwater spearfishing:
1. CO2 guns or cartridge-powered spears are prohibited.
2. Guns must be loaded and unloaded while the gun is submerged.
3. Divers must stay within a radius of 100 feet of a float bearing the National Divers’ Symbol.
4. Spears must be attached by a safety line.

Last edited:
for Hawaii:

---------- Post added November 4th, 2015 at 07:47 AM ---------

Colorado:
http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/fishing.pdf

~Underwater spearfishing, archery and gigs may be used statewide for the taking of carp and northern pike, except as prohibited by these regulations or land management agencies.
East of the Continental Divide, gizzard shad and white or long-nose suckers may also be taken, unless otherwise prohibited in “Special Regulations for Fishing Waters,” pages 10-35. Other fish may be taken when authorized for specific waters in the regulation section.
…
3. Divers must stay within a radius of 100 feet of a float bearing the National Divers’ Symbol.
4. Spears must be attached by a safety line
````````````````````````````````````````````````
"1. CO2 guns or cartridge-powered spears are prohibited."
How many CO or cartridge-powered spears can you name ?
Or when was the last CO or cartridge-powered spear produces ?

What is a "National Divers’ Symbol. ?"

What is a "saftey aline ?"

SDM

Speaking of uni,

So my curiosity got the better of me and I had to look it up....
"While colloquially referred to as the roe (eggs), uni is actually the animal’s gonads (which produce the milt or roe)."

[h=1]bon appétit[/h]

---------- Post added November 7th, 2015 at 10:30 AM ----------

So most times that's about 1.5 hours total of concentrated hunting time for two tanks with descent/ascent and safety stop thrown in.
So the point is, I don't care what they think. It's legal, we stay within our bag limits, we don't shoot up stuff just for fun, we eat everything we take (at least I do), and it's probably the least effective method of take out of the three.

I would add that with the likely potential of toothy critters being summoned by a struggling fish at the end of my shaft in 80+ ft of water any shot I take has the potential of ending my dive so I am only looking for a fish that is really worth it.

I would add that with the likely potential of toothy critters being summoned by a struggling fish at the end of my shaft in 80+ ft of water any shot I take has the potential of ending my dive so I am only looking for a fish that is really worth it.
Here we don't have pesky sharks after our fish, we have great whites that are after seals and sea lions (I was going to say us to be dramatic, but that would be false). The biggest thing we need to worry about are aggressive sea lions after our stringers. I have had some big lingcod follow me around wanting the stringer of fish but they usually end up on it themselves. My buddy shot a ling once and put it on his game hook along with several other smaller rockfish. When he ended his dive he saw that the ling tried to consume one of the fish on the stringer and had it half way down. Apparently the ling didn't know (or care) it was shot and supposed to be dead, Just shows how aggressive they are.

~Underwater spearfishing, archery and gigs may be used statewide for the taking of carp and northern pike, except as prohibited by these regulations or land management agencies.
…
````````````````````````````````````````````````
"1. CO2 guns or cartridge-powered spears are prohibited."

How many CO or cartridge-powered spears can you name ?
Or when was the last CO or cartridge-powered spear produces ?

What is a "National Divers’ Symbol. ?"

What is a "saftey aline ?"

SDM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knotical

You posted the above on November 4th.

Once again the same three questions :

Number 1 ~ CO2 & cartridge Powered guns

Number 3 ~ National divers Symbol

Number 4 ~ Saftey line

Please explain ???? ASAP

SDM

I'm pretty sure #1 has to do with underwater paintball. 3's probably a flag and 4 lineshafting.

QUOTE=Michael Guerrero; 7544981

I'm pretty sure #1 has to do with underwater paintball.

Wrong ! Totally WRONG!

3's probably a flag

yes -- but what is a "National Divers Symbol ?"

and 4 lineshafting.

Possible but in COLORADO --- the spearfishing capital of the US ???

~QUOTE

Inquiring minds would like to know -- especially from the original poster

SDM

Back
Top Bottom