Spearfishing around Long Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out Dan Berg's Shore Diving Long Island book it has some notes about spearfishing in a few of the locations. Dive Inc. in RVC hosts the Broadway Divers club meeting each month, they were discussing haveing a spearfishing class taught by David Sipperly who is a noted scuba diver as well as freediver and hunter. David spoke about freediving and spearfishing in January I think and the plan is to have him come and teach the class and then have a competition open to all skills. He cowrote a book you can find here: http://www.freedive.net/freedive/freedive.html

Great feedback - I sensed that Scuba Board had some very active members and I'm glad that my first experience has proved that. I look forward to learning more and hopefully contributing as well.

kensington:
Does anyone have any good recommendations regarding small game fish spearfishing around Long Island? :profile:
Take a look at www.northeastaquanauts.com

This is a very active local dive club with some VERY avid spear fisherman... There are a few guys that go out almost every day in season..

Welcome aboard and make sure to check out the Wreck Valley forum down near the bottom of the page as well as the Wreck Valley website. There will be a bunch of us diving just about every weekend, either shore dives, boat or Dutch Springs. A bunch of us are planning on going to Dutch for this weekend. I have never hunted myself but I got a speargun as a gift so I will probably wait until I get a chance to dive with another experienced hunter or to take the class that Dive Inc. is going to have.

Ben

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

So - do your just Freedive, or Scuba, too? You know not to do both on the same day?

don

:D

TTSkipper:
Welcome aboard and make sure to check out the Wreck Valley forum down near the bottom of the page as well as the Wreck Valley website. There will be a bunch of us diving just about every weekend, either shore dives, boat or Dutch Springs. A bunch of us are planning on going to Dutch for this weekend. I have never hunted myself but I got a speargun as a gift so I will probably wait until I get a chance to dive with another experienced hunter or to take the class that Dive Inc. is going to have.

Ben
I don't know how much limited viz hunting David does, but techniques for low viz are very different.. I used to do alot of hunting up here and have done blue water stuff in the past the approaches are very different..

One of our members spent alot of time in florida hunting, and now is a hunt-a-holic up here...

Here is a link to some photos of our club members catches..

http://www.northeastaquanauts.com/gallery4.htm

I am strickly a freediver, having grown up hunting in Lake St. Claire (Michigan) which is only 25 ft deep despite being almost 100 sq. miles. Great carp and dogfish hunting. Best part is that you can shoot them in the tail, fight them for 10 minutes, release them, and they still live. At a smaller pond near my home I have shot the same carp multiple times over the last 5 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom