Spearfishing and diving and how to stay stafe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They allow fishing on the Grove, Bibb, all the deep wrecks in the Keys. That means you could get hooked! Spear fishing is generally not dangerous for those not fishing. Its also not dangerous for those going after smaller fish. It may attract sharks.

For those spearing a large Grouper or Amberjack or any 40lbs+ game fish it can be a risk. They can pull you down or wrap you up. Paying $20 for your meal is smarter than loosing your life.

As this accident shows Spear fishing can be dangerous. This is not the first time a fisherman was killed when the line entangled the hunter. Sticking with smaller prey is not a bad decision.

It seems like a significant fraction of spear fishers prefer diving alone.
Most hunters prefer to ambush/surprise their prey. You can't do that effectively in a group. I prefer to dive solo while hunting because I become a very BAD buddy in that situation. My attention is on where my prey is hiding and I don't want any distractions.

I'm of the opinion that recreational scuba diving and spear hunting do not mix. It's a hazard to the diver, to those around him and to the marine life.
So other than "don't do it" is there anything you have to offer regarding the "how to stay safe" portion of your title? Are you intending to have a real discussion or just preach "abstinence"?

So other than "don't do it" is there anything you have to offer regarding the "how to stay safe" portion of your title? Are you intending to have a real discussion or just preach "abstinence"?

The Op should not be criticized for the title. ALL these posts (or portions there of) were removed from another thread.. Vandenburg spearfishing death.. which required the moderator to creat a new thread..

The Op should not be criticized for the title. ALL these posts (or portions there of) were removed from another thread.. Vandenburg spearfishing death.. which required the moderator to creat a new thread..

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thank you dumpsterDiver! I forgot to put a mod message into the first post of this new thread indicating I had split it from the A&I thread. Yes, the title is one I pulled from the air. If people have ideas for a better title let me know (by PM ideally) and I will be more than happy to change it for a more suitable one.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that and haven't hit A&I for a while... some of the comments make more sense now. :wink:

I'm not a spear fisher and I don't mean this to be a critical of the activity but would just like a better understanding of how those who do engage in it approach the particular risks and tradeoffs involved.

It seems like a significant fraction of spear fishers prefer diving alone. Maybe this is a misunderstanding, but it seems some of this is out of concern of being accidentally speared by a buddy if diving and spearing with one. However, this particular accident involved spear fishing in an area where there might be a lot of other divers in the area. It seems like there's a possibility of a bit of a contradiction here. Or is it something like it's not a significant hazard to other people in the general area because you're off in a separate area, and only a buddy would likely be routinely close enough to actually be at risk? Hoping the spear fishers can offer some thoughts or clarifications here.

My dive buddy and I spearfish together often. We gear up, do safety checks and descend together. When spearing a wreck or live bottom, we are only close enough to maintain visual contact. You never load your gun until you are at the sight and the safety is on until you are aready to shoot. You need to remember that most spearguns only have a 15-20 effective range so accidently spearing someone would almost have to be intentional. We will finish our dive and ascend together.

Am so sorry for the family left behind. The only report we've received so far, is that this diver went in 15 or so minutes before his buddies did...when the buddy pair went in, a big fish was seen..thrashing along the side of the ship..maybe it was an AmberJack..they then followed the line back.. couldn't raise him..drop his weight..or inflate his BC ...so they left him there to go for help.....the report didn't say he was wrapped up.. coulda' happened that way.. Seems a lot of what if's..

Can someone explain how a fish will entangle you? Seems either they would swim away fast. And if they get close you would stab them ?
I've never spearfished, obviously.

Can someone explain how a fish will entangle you? Seems either they would swim away fast. And if they get close you would stab them ?
I've never spearfished, obviously.

In keeping in the rules of this section of the board, you are better off asking this question in the spearfishing section of the board. You should get a really good answer and explaination there.

Back
Top Bottom