Vessel Spearfisherman killed-Bahia Honda Key

This Thread Prefix is for incidents related to one or more vessels from kayaks to ships.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
https://www.facebook.com/floridakey...yCpq802MvhhB8LYcEOCiOw1O90qAIO4g&__tn__=<,P-R

MCSO - Florida Keys

odSoerntsp3l086c287m8m60m2ihig0m1auam7mhth5t56il0ht3f2li80c4 ·

UPDATE: THE VESSEL HAS BEEN LOCATED
FWC seeks public help in fatal boat incident
An adult male spearfishman died after being struck by a boat at approximately 1:15 p.m. Friday in the water off Mile Marker 39, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
The FWC is asking for the public’s help in the investigation.
Anyone with information about the boat seen in the attached picture is asked to call 561-357-4200.
It is described as a 32-foot Contender with a white T-top, white hull, and blue paint on the bottom, with twin, white, Mercury outboard engines.

MCSO-Picture.jpg

Odd lack of updates on this one. I’ve seen updates that the boat and boater have been found, but nothing since. Very vague reports. I’ve seen some that state no witnesses, but the photo seems to show there was someone else there. Photo looks like a still from a GoPro with a color correcting filter. No word on if there was a dive flag in use or not.

I’m down on Cudjoe now and was talking about this to a friend down here. He spends a good amount of time down here and has noticed that many divers have not been using dive flags recently. I don’t know if that’s the case with this incident. Articles don’t say either way.

Odd lack of updates on this one. I’ve seen updates that the boat and boater have been found, but nothing since. Very vague reports. I’ve seen some that state no witnesses, but the photo seems to show there was someone else there. Photo looks like a still from a GoPro with a color correcting filter. No word on if there was a dive flag in use or not.

I’m down on Cudjoe now and was talking about this to a friend down here. He spends a good amount of time down here and has noticed that many divers have not been using dive flags recently. I don’t know if that’s the case with this incident. Articles don’t say either way.
I have been working at the state park, Bahia Honda. I was there Friday when two boats came in with about 14 people between the two boats. FWC and other law enforcement were waiting on the arrival of the boats, they got statements from everyone who were st the scene of the accident. They removed the guy who was killed, they also removed the dive flag. I believe it was a charter captain who was spearfishing with his clients, the clients recovered the mam from the water and brought him into the state park marina.

They removed the guy who was killed, they also removed the dive flag. I believe it was a charter captain who was spearfishing with his clients, the clients recovered the mam from the water and brought him into the state park marina.
Thanks for the account. Definitely a sad situation. I still don’t understand the lack of any real information in this incident. I can only hope that MCSO is keeping things internal until the investigation is complete.

By contrast, a lot more info was in the articles about the boat that hit the bridge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom