Spearfisher encounter with Great White of FL east coast.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EL Pistoffo

Contributor
Reaction score
The water would have been more than murky if that had been me! How fast can you breathe 3000 PSI?

Holy crap he swooped in on him reeeeal close on the first fly by. I would love to see one and I would hope to hell I had either a speargun or a scooter to shove into his face if he came at me like that one did. That was intense!!!!:cool2:

DD.............................. seriously!! Why? You're only going to piss it off and get yourself killed in doing so.

DD.............................. seriously!! Why? You're only going to piss it off and get yourself killed in doing so.

DD was just posting that this same video has been being discussed in another post here for three days.

I would love to know what the OP had on him if he already had speared a fish and that is what attracted the GW. I don't know what I would do if a GW just swung by and kept circling even if I didn't have and fish on my and was just diving.

Wow, crazy scary footage. If you read the text in the link, the shark made contact with the diver: it's first pass included it's teeth rasping the diver's tank. What in the world would a diver do in a situation like this if a speargun wasn't handy to poke the shark away. My little hand held GoPro or my lobster snare wouldn't have much of an impact.

Wow, crazy scary footage. If you read the text in the link, the shark made contact with the diver: it's first pass included it's teeth rasping the diver's tank. What in the world would a diver do in a situation like this if a speargun wasn't handy to poke the shark away. My little hand held GoPro or my lobster snare wouldn't have much of an impact.

I think the smartest thing he did besides giving the shark a few good deterring pokes was bunkering down next to that ledge and keeping his eyes on her. I can't say whether or not her first pass was an outright attack or just an investigatory "nudge;" if it was an attack then maybe hitting the tank caused her to back off and re-evaluate what she was dealing with. According to the diver's comments she dropped out of sight for eight minutes afterwards; you can see the cut on the video after she passes over him. If she'd really been hellbent on taking a bite out of him she could have easily ambushed him again. After she comes back into sight she doesn't seem to be in attack mode; she's way to inquisitive for comfort but aside from jerking away from the spear she's moving very calmly. That said, she could have taken a few test nips if it struck her fancy and he hadn't fended her off.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom