spearfisher attacked by GW in australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ch0ppersrule

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw this on the tele several times today and nothing ever in the news. Looked it up and found this. The news and his dive buddy said they were spearfishing.

Australian diver: Shark attack sudden, like being 'hit by a car'
Jan 16, 2006, 11:14 GMT
printer friendly email this article * **
Shark attack victim Bernie Williams recovers in the Emergency Department at Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre in Perth, Sunday, 15 January 2006. Williams, 52, of the northern Perth beachside suburb of Sorrento, was bitten on the left elbow after the shark grabbed him from behind as he was scuba diving about 3km offshore from City Beach. EPA/NIC ELLIS Sydney - An Australian diver who wrestled with a 3.5-metre great white shark off a Perth beach at the weekend has told his tale of survival against incredible odds.

'I got whacked, like I was hit by a car, and was dragged along and shook up a little bit, and that's when it punctured my arm,' Bernard Williams said Monday. 'It was a lot longer than me, and it would have been half a metre across the head with a lot of teeth.'

The 47-year-old father of three told The Australian from his hospital bed that in the battle Sunday he was temporarily blinded by clouds of his own blood.

'The first I saw of it was when I was looking at my elbow and wondering what was hanging off it and seeing this big head inches away from it,' he said.

Williams, who has dived for fun for 20 years, said he wasn't sure whether he shook the shark off or whether it let go to get a better hold.

'It was like jabbing a lump of steel,' he said, 'but then I kept losing that much blood in the water that I kept losing sight of it.'

Williams was brought ashore by surf lifesavers after a nearby boat saw the attacking shark and raised the alarm. He has deep gashes to his arm but was expected to be released from hospital soon.

The lucky escape came a week after a 21-year-old Brisbane woman died on North Stradbrook Island in Queensland after having both her arms ripped off by a shark. She was in waist-deep water when she was seized.

Williams was 5 kilometres off Perth's City Beach when the shark attacked.

There have been three shark fatalities on Australia's west coast in the past five years.

In 2000, Perth lawyer Ken Crew, 49, died after losing a leg to what was believed to be a great white on Cottesloe Beach. In 2004, Brad Smith, 30, died after being attacked by a shark while surfing at Gracetown, 270 kilometres south of Perth. In March 26-year-old Geoffrey Brazier was mauled to death by a 6-metre shark while snorkelling off the Abrolhos Islands.

Another story on this.

Australian Shark Attack Victim Vows to Continue Scuba Diving
January 16, 2006 9:30 a.m. EST

Julie Farby - All Headline News Staff Writer

(AHN) - Thanks to his quick-thinking, a 52-year-old scuba diver survived a potentially fatal attack by a 3.5 meter great white shark off the Australian west coast.

Bernie Williams, who is recovering in a hospital in the Western Australia state capital Perth with lacerations to his left arm, has told his tale of survival against incredible odds.

Williams says he wrenched his bleeding arm from the predator's jaws and hid in a crevice on the ocean floor until he was rescued, “I got whacked, like I was hit by a car, and was dragged along and shook up a little bit…and there was a very large shark head hanging off my arm, trying to chew it.”

Bernard Williams adds, “It was a lot longer than me, and it would have been half a meter across the head with a lot of teeth.”

The shark made several more attempts to attack Williams, disappearing into the gloom and lunging back from different directions, before the arrival of his two diving companions, including one wearing a shark repellant, "I think I was actually on the bottom hiding and being chased around, for the best part of four or five minutes and then I ran into my buddies. We all bunched up around Brian, with the shark pod…and the shark disappeared.”

Fishermen who saw the attack hauled the trio into their boat and took them to shore where Williams was rushed to Sir Charles Gairdner hospital.

A hospital spokeswoman says today he remains in a stable condition but is still undergoing treatment.

Williams says the shark was the biggest he had ever seen in 20 years of diving but he would continue to scuba dive, "But I'll definitely be investing in a shark pod."

On a seperate note, a 6m(?!) Great White was spotted off another nearby Perth beach. Haven't found any onoine articles, since it was just on the 6pm news which was 20mins ago.

Quite a coincidence considering Aus shark populations are decreasing, then having two seperate great white shark appearances just a number of kilometeres away in only 2 days .

Edit Note: Some other news sources quote the attack victim (Bernie Williams) quotes that he was most likely saved by another diver having a shark shield.

I've got limited sympathy for spear fishing and the resultant shark attacks. Occupational hazard surely?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a shark shield/shark pod?

Excuse my ignornace if I'm wrong, but I thought that it was illegal to spearfish with a tank (scuba diving). If so, then how did this fellow fend off the GW with his speargun if he was scuba diving??? :06:

I too don't have sympathy for spearfishing accidents involving sharks - it's like swimming in burley, you're bound to be bitten some time.

In Western Australia you can spearfish with scuba gear, providing u are a certain minimum distance from the shore (800m i think) and not within certain protected zones.

Personally I think that spear fishing in known shark areas is equivalent to chumming the waters and having no cage to retreat into. I don't spearfish in our waters any more (stopped 30 years ago) and the great whites have left me alone. I do dive with spearos, but they bring each catch to the boat at the surface before going back down again.

Back
Top Bottom