Spear rebounds into diver's head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
While spear fishing here in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil this week a diver called Emerson, 36 years old, fired his speargun and the spear bounced off a rock and back into his head.
Amazingly he survived without any serious consequences even though the spear lodged in the brain.
He arrived at the emergency treatment fully lucid and with no other symptoms.
It took a 5 hour operation to get the spear tip out.
He's doing well.

Attachments

• Spear-in-head.jpg
    Spear-in-head.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 211
  • spearinhead.pdf
    159.9 KB · Views: 181
That is going to leave a mark. Good thing he did not get shot anywhere vital....
Hope he mends up just fine.

Glad to hear he's OK. I saw this on Yahoo news this morning also.
I'm trying to get a mental picture of how this happened. He must have been using a shorter gun and pulled the gun stock back behind him while looking into a hole, placing the tip of the spear near his ear or somewhere? This way the spear could have deflected off a rock. I can't see how a shaft could bounce back, turn 180 degrees and hit him.

Does Sarah Brady know these things exist? If so, watch out or these will be grouped in with the so called assault weapons. :D

Was amused when the news reported that despite entering into the brain, it missed anything vital. Hmmm...

Was amused when the news reported that despite entering into the brain, it missed anything vital. Hmmm...

Since the guy appears to have suffered no serious damage it's not politically incorrect to see the lighter side of the event. But I must admit it did make me think of Homer Simpson.

Wow. I'm not a spaer-fisher. Does a spear actually generate enforce force to penetrate a skull?

Only if it bounces off of a rock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom