Spear Fisherman and Long Shore Fisherman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There isn't a map on the sign. I'll have to look at it a little closer this weekend to see what it says.

The area I'm talking about, though, is the, what?, cove divers enter behind the firehouse before they swim over the rocks to the open water. It looks like a lagoon to me.

Aloha everyone!
This is a great thread!
I am the Observation and Compliance Coordinator for The Hui Malama O Pupukea Waimea Conservation Group. We are a community based group that is helping to protect the Pupukea MLCD (Marine Life Conservation District). We set up an outreach tent each Saturday rotating from Sharks Cove, 3 Tables, & Waimea Bay. This next Saturday (16th) the group will be at 3 Tables. For more information on our group and how you can help, CLICK HERE.

We are always looking for help monitoring the MLCD, so if anyone would like to volunteer, just email or PM me or call the number on the website. Volunteers just log the hours that they patrol the park and report and document any violations they witness.
Some of the official rules for the MLCD are as follows:
ALLOWED-
Polefishing from shore within Waimea Bay (2 pole per person, 2 hooks per pole). Commercial net fishing is allowed in certain time periods for certain species, but they must not use motors to maneuver while inside the bay.
Collecting Limu (Algae) within quantity limits per person.
PROHIBITED-
Removing ANYTHING from MLCD except where allowed (see above)
Any spearfishing within the entire MLCD, Polefishing from anywhere except Waimea Bay.
Possessing any device used to take resources from the MLCD (this includes traversing the park with fishing gear)

The tidepools are technically not part of the MLCD due to State/city lease agreements, but we are pushing to have the tidepools included because it is an intricate part of the ecosystem of the MLCD.

This is just some general info but please check the Hui Malama website for more information
Thank you for all of you who are watching and reporting...remember ANYONE can call DLNR violation hotline...587-0077 (it's also on the signs).
Mahalo,
Drew Wheeler
Observation and Compliance Coordinator
Hui Malama O Pupukea Waimea

Did you tell them "the bay is protected" or did you tell them they were "breaking the law"? By your last statement you admit to bothering them, and they probably considered you not only rude and impolite but ignorant as well.

Ocean recreation is different for different users. Unless you have full knowledge of the regs it is best to call DLNR or talk to the lifeguards. Even when you have full knowledge, it is often better to let the enforcement officers do the job.

Halemano,

I understand what you are trying to get at. I don't understand however if he was telling them fishing is illegal/prohibited there how hard would it have been for one of them to simply inform him that he was wrong and the type of fishing they are doing is legal there. That way they would have educated him and he probabably would have been ok with that and not continued down the chain. But no, they had to be a**Holes. I don't know if he was rude, but that doesn't make their behavior any more right. I have noticed much on the islands that all to often that spirit if ALOHA is reserved for the one side and not the other.

Now if he had been walking down the beach saying something to the effect of "Hey all you monkeys I called the cops and you are all going to jail cause you can't read english" then he got what he deserved, but at least by his account he didn't do that.

Halemano,

I understand what you are trying to get at. I don't understand however if he was telling them fishing is illegal/prohibited there how hard would it have been for one of them to simply inform him that he was wrong and the type of fishing they are doing is legal there. That way they would have educated him and he probabably would have been ok with that and not continued down the chain. But no, they had to be a**Holes. I don't know if he was rude, but that doesn't make their behavior any more right. I have noticed much on the islands that all to often that spirit if ALOHA is reserved for the one side and not the other.

Now if he had been walking down the beach saying something to the effect of "Hey all you monkeys I called the cops and you are all going to jail cause you can't read english" then he got what he deserved, but at least by his account he didn't do that.
I agree with both of you on this one. I have MANY encounters with all sorts of violators or would be violators while patroling the MLCD.
First and foremost, make sure you know the rules before approaching anyone. These guys a Waimea get bothered often by people who don't know all the exact rules, and just assume they are breaking the law. Whether we like it or not, they are allowed to fish with poles from shore in Waimea ONLY.
And even if you know the rules, I know there are just times that it is not smart for this haole to even think of approaching some local fishermen. As halemano said, it is best to let DLNR handle it.
If you feel compelled to say something then most of the time, a simple inquiry such as " Are you aware you are fishing in a protected area?" usually is met with a polite response and most will say they didn't know...even if they did.
I have even used the guise that I didn't want to see them get a ticket and have their day ruined.
The important thing here is that we all pitch in by learning the rules, keeping our eyes open, and calling DLNR when violations are witnessed.
Drew

I dive a lot in that area and occasionally see people getting ready to spear or set up their poles.

I used to get worked up about it, but like scubadrew, I have come to realize that many people honestly don't know its a reserve. They are thankful if you approach them without an attitude and let them know that the place is protected.

I have the phone number of DLNR in my cell. 587-0077
If the people look a little on the scary side and I don't want to confront them,
I just make the call and let an officer come to sort it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom