Spear fisherman accident on Vandenberg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DAN does publish detailed reports if they get the info

Not always. I have sent DAN medical examiner & investigator full reports and they have shelved them.

Not always. I have sent DAN medical examiner & investigator full reports and they have shelved them.
On serious dive accidents? Deaths...? :confused:

I doubt we will learn more. Maybe that the death is by drowning, the standard result of an autopsy involving a diver. For those who expect more why? The guy shot a big fish, got tangled up and drown. Not the first time a spear fisherman got tangled, won't be the last.

If you shoot a big Fish you may not outlive it!

RIP Ollie Macon Smithwick.

The true accident analysis should be looking at:

How long since the divers last dive
How long since the divers last spear trip
How long since the diver shot a big fish

Spearing is an activity diving like any other. To be sharp you have to stay active and practice. Takeing a long SI and then spearing a game fish is a poor choice.

Spearing a pelagic is always a choice that shouls not be undertaken litely. I have heard that for every pound of fish you shoot is equal to 5 pounds to the diver. So a 40 pound AJ is like haveing a 200 pound fish on the end of a string. Underwater is not our natural enviroment, it is for the fish.

The debate about tecnique, riding rigs ect. is a hot topic and really just a sub topic to the original disscusion. Spearing pelagics is dangerous. You must stay current and proficient, kill shots are highly recomended, and must be practiced. Spearing a pelagic underwater and not stoneing it is akin to shooting a deer with a bow and being attached to it via a cable and drug through the woods till the deer tires and or bleeds out.
Eric

I live in Cookeville and this is the first I've heard of this. What a shame.

Sent from my DROID X2

When I spearfish, it is usually with a buddy, but not in the strict sense what is normal for regular dives. We enter together, descend together and are always in sight of each other, but not in touching range. We have been spearing together for years and are aware of where each other is. We maintain contact, finish our hunt and ascend together. I have spearfished solo, but never deeper that 50' and always for smaller gamefish such as flounder, spadefish or tautog.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of posts related to another spearfishing accident have been moved and may be found here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/420359-spearfisherman-injured-dcs.html

As well, a number of other posts that are a more general discussion of spearfishing, pros and cons and how to be safe, have been moved here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...20462-spearfishing-diving-how-stay-stafe.html

Please remember that the A&I forum has special rules about discussing the incident in question and staying on topic. Thank you.

Last edited:
There remains too many questions for accurate evaluation. It is my understanding all divers were using enriched air. While working in the Keys I frequently had requests for higher blends than were safe for the depths of the dive. I hope this was not the case as the buddies may have been at risk as well.

There remains too many questions for accurate evaluation. It is my understanding all divers were using enriched air. While working in the Keys I frequently had requests for higher blends than were safe for the depths of the dive. I hope this was not the case as the buddies may have been at risk as well.

Dont understand where this is coming from. Do you have some inside info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom