Speaking of Oxygen...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know that O2 won't reduce the "risk" of dcs and I don't care. What "risk" are you talking about???

My whole argument putting all the numbers aside is that playing around with O2 isn't smart and the potential risk of O2 TOX is much more dangerous than any possible benefit of "reduction of risk for dcs". Besides if you aren't trying to reduce deco what are you trying to do? Fix something that isnt' broken? There's not much risk of dcs if one follows the correct procedures so why increase the REAL risk of O2 Tox??? It just makes NO sense to me at all.

BTW: I actually agree that in an ideal world using Mix at 90ft would be fine but it's not widely available enough (also monetary factors) to use on a daily basis unless you happen to live near the dive site and have a home fill station set up. Over 100ft I agree that mix should be used!

Also, I didn't see the great benefit of using 50/50 over 02 for deco in the compartments. Some were better with 50/50 and some were better with O2. Can you explain what you meant about being cleaner? I feel fine after deco now... I'm trying to learn something with this thread too! ;^) The only benefit I saw of using 50/50 was that your CNS% would be lower at the expense of doing twice the deco. I do agree with the deeper stops! In reality I do a VERY slow ascent in place of the deeper stops and after "deco" do a VERRRRRY slow ascent to the surface from 20ft.

DSAO!

I take it that this is you.........

Get some experience diving mix. It is a much better gas to dive with at the exposure you profiled. Don't use the silly argument that it is expensive. The whole sport is expensive. You can get it anyplace in the US. If there is a welding shop around there is Tmx.

omar

---------------------------------------
Re: Helium diving
Remote Name: 165.2.186.10
Date: 2002-02-14
Time: 10:17

Comments

Hi James,

While I can offer no "opinion" of my own as I haven't done trimix yet there is a LOT of info on Jim Cobb's Trimix site and links to many of Eric Baker's papers on trimix and deco.

DSAO!!
------------------------------------------

I never claimed to be a Trimix diver.

I'm not arguing against the use of trimix at rec levels just that gas in the example I gave was not a "poor choice of gas" as you say.

Once again and back to the subject...

My whole argument putting all the numbers aside is that playing around with O2 isn't smart and the potential risk of O2 TOX is much more dangerous than any possible benefit of "reduction of risk for dcs". Besides if you aren't trying to reduce deco what are you trying to do? Fix something that isnt' broken? There's not much risk of dcs if one follows the correct procedures so why increase the REAL risk of O2 Tox??? It just makes NO sense to me at all.

My last post on this matter.

DSAO!!

Originally posted by WYDT
I never claimed to be a Trimix diver.

I'm not arguing against the use of trimix at rec levels just that gas in the example I gave was not a "poor choice of gas" as you say.

Once again and back to the subject...

My last post on this matter.

DSAO!!
What a shame that it's your last post... if you'll put some numbers to your numberless "playing around with oxygen" and "increase the REAL risk of O2 Tox" you'll find that mathematically, pre-oxygenation can provide benefits in reducing nitrogen tensions and oxygen CNS exposure over diving with Nitrox mixes. The real disadvantage, of course, is that it takes time to do. After all, from a CNS clock perspective, a 30 minute pre-ox exposure at the surface is a bit less than a 30 minute dive on EAN32 at 70 feet. If the concept doesn't make any sense to you, try applying some math to your feelings - there is clarity in the numbers. I promise.
My original question was one about studies to determine if the apparent [theoretical] benefits could be shown to be real - it has nothing to do with trying the procedure without studies proving its efficacy.
Rick

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom