Speaking of Nitrox...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the different grades of air? Grade E is the standard for filling normal scuba tanks, and Grade I is for Nitrox mixing?? do the grades of air have to do with what is contained in the air? what grade is the air we are breathing now?

but we arent breathing that air under pressure. Here in Florida, fill stations are required to have their air tested every quarter and post the results at the fill station. Modified E is the lowest grade allowed for O2 mixing, Grade D is the minimum for breathing.

Another expense is the cost of the analyzer for the O2 mix. The probes need replacing, and at $200 each, it adds up. Stations that denitrogenate air lose the expence of buying O2, but that is offset by the higher expence of the system. Add the cost of training and insurance and it gets expensive to offer fills. My LDS claims to nearly break even on fills. Starting a dive club to offer fills to it's members sounds like a good idea, but IMHO there are alot of hidden costs. Especially if it is a self-service setup. It encourages members to "sneak by" a fill without proper VIP and Hydro programs.

How did the Nitrox discussion get into the Santa's wish list thread?

Regulators...are ya'll testing us to see if we're paying attention?

O2 is not the big cost in making Nitrox. In my area a K bottle of O2 (highest price around) is about $24. Assuming you mix 32% all the time, that bottle will get you, ideally, about 18 fills. What's that, not even a buck and a half a fill for the O2?
A cheap(er) way to get Nitrox would be to fill your O2 cleaned tank with the proper amount of O2 at home, buy a small appropriate (modified E) filter stack, and then take both to the LDS for an air top-off. Cost of the O2 is marginal, the filter stack will be a few hundred, The air also is cheap. As someone has already said, since you'll be filtering air that is pretty clean to begin with, those filters will last a long time.

I highly advise taking a blending course before you attempt any of this. "Playing" with pure oxygen in your garage is not to be taken lightly, and the LDS will (should) take you seriously if you show them you have taken the course.

And of course, you have to decide whether or not you really want to hassle with all this to save how much money. What is your time worth?

Neil

Back
Top Bottom