Spare Air-worth its weight in gold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Price of gold = roughly $910 USD per ounce. (assuming bullion, not coin or other)

Taken from Spare-Air website: (assuming 3 cuft)
Weight (full) 2.17 lb

2.17lbs = 34.72 ounces

Spare-Air = $31,595.20 USD

:11: :11: :11:

:D

Yeah, I came outta the woodwork... Shhsh!

as for the others, no the several minutes of time we not all under water. it was the total time he would get playing with the spair air. and yes several times he did go under water for a few seconds, while i held my breath and controlled how he came up from the whopping 2-3 feet. For those so concerned I did call dan, at 3 feet you are at 1.09 ata even if you inhaled and surfaced there is enough elasticity in your avioli (thats the little air sacs for you lay people) in you lungs to absorb that expansion. at 15ft there could be a potential for danger but at 2 ft it like inhaling a regular breath then sucking in as much air as you can, that would be the max difference in the simplest terms. So to put an end to this argument, is this safe for the lay person maybe not, however I will say this without giving too much information. My wife and I are both medical professionals, I have several hundred dives, my friend is PADI course director I have consulted with DAN and talked with another friend just 10 minutes ago who was a pulmonologist and is now a cardio/thoracic surgeon. So based on my knowledge and experience and the knowledge of others I can draw on, I am confident about my ability to safely supervise my son while using a spare air as not to "explode" his lungs

Thank You

Again I am sure some of you will split hais on these issues, but the fact is this is being done in a safe manner, and if you were not here to whitness it you should not judge.
Rather than berate the people who show concern for your son's safety maybe you should thank them and be glad there are people on this forum who care. You obviously have done your homework and have a good understanding of the risks but your earlier posts did not leave that impression.

there is enough elasticity in your avioli (thats the little air sacs for you lay people) in you lungs to absorb that expansion.
I am a layperson, and as far as I knew, the little air sacs in my lungs were called "alveoli". I thank you and the other medical professionals on the board for sharing your expertise.

Last edited:
Boy! Are they really making kids so fragile nowadays? I can remember walking to school in the snow, hitchiking if I missed the bus, Trick-or-Treating by myself, riding a bike by 5 (without training wheels!), learned to drive a stick shift by 10, earned money at 13, my own motorcycle at 14, fell off fishing boats in Alaskan water (5 years old), climbed trees, built snow forts connected to my secret underground cave, shoot rifles and pistols, fly airplanes, played football, and spent all Summer underwater at the pool! All without a father! I wonder, should I even LET my kid go outside anymore??! It's hard enough trying to find ANYONE willing to just TRY discover scuba. Parents instill so much horror into their children today, that many grow up to never even learn how to swim! Let your kids go outside and play so they don't grow up to be grape-squeezin' liberal panzies that like the smell of their own farts! By the way, Spare-Air is cool...'wish I had one when I was a kid!

+1 Some of the replies here are ridiculous!

I think the only mistake rds912 made was posting it here on SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom