Spare Air Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to tell them the truth, it's too bad they didn't ask first.

I went on a trip to Geyer Bank in the Gulf of Mexico last year
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=107580&highlight=geyer

This was a mixed "technical" and "recreational" trip. 2 of the "Rec" divers had brand new Spare Airs,bought specially for this trip.

Geyer Bank is about 120 feet at its shallowest point. The "rec" divers presumably felt safer with their new toys. The "tech" divers just shook their heads...................

You know, I have to admit that I have a Spare Air that I bought back about 2 years ago when I got back into diving. In hindsight and 100 dives later I do kind of have to chuckle to myself. Its that whole "boy if I knew then what I know now" type of thing. However, that said, I do still think there were postive aspects to the purchase, quite possibly more so than the actual function of the unit. Because I can also say that "what I knew then" WAS the need to understand the importance of safety and redundancy when diving and that purchase is a small reflection of my growth as a diver. Now maybe it wasn't the best or the safest way to handle solving an out of air situation but it was an attempt to reconigize a potential problem and provide a solution. I agree with all the others that say education is the solution to your situation. But I think you have an opportunity to educate them without making them feel bad or that they made a poor purchase. Give them a little credit for where their heads were and use that to advance them to understand why there are better ways to solve the problems that they were trying to solve with a purchase of a SPare Air.

Ok I will stop now as I have been breathing off my Spare Air while writing this and it is now empt..................

pusser:
I am no expert here but don't spare airs hold 1.5 cuft? That means your RMV is .15 cuft/min. Wow that is amazing:06:

There is also a 3cft bottle that is more common.

Joe

for the shallow reefs here in the upper keys there more then adequate

dandrian:
You know, I have to admit that I have a Spare Air that I bought back about 2 years ago when I got back into diving. In hindsight and 100 dives later I do kind of have to chuckle to myself. Its that whole "boy if I knew then what I know now" type of thing. However, that said, I do still think there were postive aspects to the purchase, quite possibly more so than the actual function of the unit. Because I can also say that "what I knew then" WAS the need to understand the importance of safety and redundancy when diving and that purchase is a small reflection of my growth as a diver. Now maybe it wasn't the best or the safest way to handle solving an out of air situation but it was an attempt to reconigize a potential problem and provide a solution. I agree with all the others that say education is the solution to your situation. But I think you have an opportunity to educate them without making them feel bad or that they made a poor purchase. Give them a little credit for where their heads were and use that to advance them to understand why there are better ways to solve the problems that they were trying to solve with a purchase of a SPare Air.

Ok I will stop now as I have been breathing off my Spare Air while writing this and it is now empt..................

Excellent post and points Dandrian, thank you.

I tell my students not buy something to fix a problem that shouldn't exoist in the first palce.

maintain at least 500psi in your cylinder
stay close to your buddy

one will always fix the other. for those situations that you "get seperated" you should look to your piss poor diving skills, and correct them, rather then buying something.

pusser:
I am no expert here but don't spare airs hold 1.5 cuft? That means your RMV is .15 cuft/min. Wow that is amazing:06:

as SIDEBAND said there is (and i have) the 3CF model and no... my SAC is averages about 0.5~0.6 based on calculations done by my SUUNTO Cobra

http://piddlefish.servepics.com/scuba/DiveGraphs.html

ATTICUS's calculations are probably a lot more realistic and removing the 'confusion' factor are points that i didn't really consider.... but should have.....

i think the 2 biggest points brought up are:

1. should never need to use it ie: never put yourself in the position to have to use it. the only time i ever used it was to donate it to a buddy on a safety stop 'cos he WAS already down to 500 PSI and was worried the boat captain would ground him if he came with LESS that 500 PSI

http://piddlefish.servepics.com/SCUBA/2002-06-01-53-MD1.html

2. should be based on the environment. the tech divers "shaking their heads" at Geyer Point would have good reason......but then i wouldn't be putting my spareAir on for 120' dive.... but rest assured..... i am just as amused when i see set of doubles and a pony bottle on Molasses Reef in 40' down in the keys!

Not to point fingers at anyone specific but I wonder how many Spare Air owners get them checked every year or two. IMO, these things create a sense of complacency in some, who may go to use it a few years after buying (and having a few dozen dives) and discover it doesn't work.

meekal:
i am just as amused when i see set of doubles and a pony bottle on Molasses Reef in 40' down in the keys!
I'm not sure what's so funny about being able to spend three hours on the reef but if it amuses you then to each his own.

Halthron:
I'm not sure what's so funny about being able to spend three hours on the reef but if it amuses you then to each his own.

can you please forward the name of the boat that will allow you to spend 3 hours on a reef in key largo? that'd be awesome......

Back
Top Bottom