Spar or Papoose/Hutton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm hearing that both the Spar and the Papoose can be great dives.

On a good day with clean blue water and fair seas, you would be hard pressed to find a bad dive off NC. If you get your one day, it is just going to wet your appetite to come back. So I guess either way you will be back. :D

the wreck formerly known as the papoose is one of my favorites!

listen to ken (james) - he's a good captain & knows what he's doing, even when hosting parties.

All good words of wisdom. More from a Carolina boy who has dove many times there...remember you are on the boat with 20 some odd other people. The Cap makes the final call on where to go based on sea conditions, reported viz at the site, current strength, and where he hears most people on the boat want to go to.

BTW, my favorites, the Spar (penetration and sharks), and Papoose (the old Papoose...penetration).

Both are great dives. It seems that most of the larger charters like the sub and SPAR combo. The Papoose(now Hutton) is still one of my favorite dives. IMHO you will see large numbers of smaller Sand Tigers on the SPAR and smaller numbers of large Sand Tigers on the Papoose. Some of the biggest females I have seen have been on the Papoose. Depth makes a big difference in these two dives you will typically get better bottom time on the SPAR if you stay on the structure, there usually seems to be a good number of sharks circling the buoy deck. The sharks on the Papoose are around the sand and you are not going to get much bottom time on that profile. If you get the right charter (I highly recommend Tortuga) you might get a Papoose/SPAR combo and have the best of both worlds.

That said come on down either way you will have a great time, provided Mother Nature smiles upon you.

If you plan and stopping in Morehead City in May and actually getting wet on a dive, then you are a gambling man.
:jaws:

Mundo, you have the odds on your side, you have 10 days invested and still have not seen a "bluebird" day. After you left in August, we had 7 in a row!!

Check this post I wrote about the days after your departure.....

What a stretch of nice weather | tortugacharters.net

Mundo, you have the odds on your side, you have 10 days invested and still have not seen a "bluebird" day. After you left in August, we had 7 in a row!!

Check this post I wrote about the days after your departure.....

What a stretch of nice weather | tortugacharters.net

Sounds like I have something to look forward to. Bluebird day or not, some of my most memorable times diving have been in Beaufort/Morehead City, on the ocean and off.

:jaws:

Dove the Spar one day with the current blowing in from just off the port bow. First in the water and I went straight to the bow down to the sand where a group a sand tigers were stationed in the current about 20 feet off. Quietly moved in and slowly maintained a kick in the current. After a few minutes the group closed back in. For the next 30 minutes that is all I did. I was one of the herd. There were sand tigers above and to each side of me almost closely enough to touch. It was one of the most amazing dive experiences I have ever had.

Can I toss in a vote for 'ask the crew on the boat?'

Here's why. Things change from day to day, and even from hour to hour. The crew might have some recent info (from a day or two ago, or even minutes ago from another dive boat via the radio). Some days I would pick the Spar, and on other days I would pick the Papoose.

The Spar can be really great or really so-so. When it has nice blue water, it's an easy (by NC standards) enjoyable dive. At times though, there can be a stiff murky layer of curent on the bottom that saps visibility and makes the dive more of a chore.

The Papoose is a further out (longer ride) and deeper (less dive time), but more consistent. The real wreck aspect is nice, but you're looking at the bottom of the hull for a lot of it and that's not quite as exciting.

If you make it to the Spar, you can sneak up to the front of the wreck and check for bigger sharks under the bow. You can also sit on the main deck and watch the sand tigers circle. Just sit and watch, they will swim a circuit.

On the Papoose, and your DM where the sharks are on that day. You can sit on top of the wreck (on the keel) and look down from above or you can drop down to the sand and watch.

It's easy to find teeth on both wrecks if you know where to look. I have good luck on the main buoy deck of the SPAR. Teeth on the Papoose tend to get fall down and caught on the ridges that run from bow to stern along the bottom of the hull.

Good luck with the trip. There are worse places to be stuck for a day if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Back
Top Bottom