Spar or Papoose/Hutton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sparhawk13401

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'll be stopping in Morehead in May this year, unfortunatley it's only for one day. I really want to see U352 and was debating the second stop on the charter with my dive buddy. We were wondering which one the locals like to see and why they recommend them.

My father in law (dive buddy) has seen the Spar so I thought we'd hit the Papoose, but I keep reading that the Spar tends to be sharkier than the Papoose and I haven't dove the Spar. I'd rather see a legit shipwreck rather than an artificial reef, but I'd really love to see some tigers too.

That's why I was wondering what the guys who have the luck to be able to hit these sights all the time think and why.

Thanks

The Papoose/Hutton is a real wreck & is definitely worth the trip, it is kind of broken up, but does allow for some penetration if you are trained to do so. It also has a huge gap in it that allows more of a Cavern type dive, but bring a good light it gets dark in there. You will also more than likely see plenty of Sandtigers on it as well. Was probably 1 of my favorites up until diving the Atlas.

The Spar being fully intact is 1 of my wifes favorites for just that reason, she likes to be able to tell what part of the wreck relates to the ship, not easily defined on a debris pile. It also has some very easy swim throughs.

I prefer the "Papoose" as well, but if conditions are good on the "Atlas" it's even
better. I've never seen so many sharks on one wreck like the "Atlas", but
the viz isn't always as good.

I'll be stopping in Morehead in May this year, unfortunatley it's only for one day. Thanks

Be sure to get your expectations right about the prospects of showing up in Morehead for one day in May and the odds of being able to get to dive, much less the wreck you want. Read this forum for a while, listen to what the divers say and how they understand it is a roll of the dice.

Having said that, I had a group last year that chartered me for 5 days in May and we got 4 in, and all 4 were sporty.

I don't want to scare you away from NC diving, but understand that May is a plan 5 days to dive 2 and 3 days to dive 1 sort of month.

Planning one day months in advance gives you a 25% chance of even getting on the boat in May on that day. As long as you understand that, and are not disappointed when things don't go as planned, all is good. You just might get the prettiest day of the month on your day, but you won against 30/1 odds.

Good luck

If you plan and stopping in Morehead City in May and actually getting wet on a dive, then you are a gambling man. Last May I booked 5 days with the expectation of diving 3, we got lucky and dived 4 out of the 5. I went with Captain James of Tortuga Charters who runs a great operation. He is a master at predicting the weather and he'll do his damnest to get you out there safely.

I did 2 separate weeks of diving with Tortuga and will be returning for another week beginning of May. The Tortuga is a roomy and fast six-pack, and a little mystcal because every time I've been out on her we get to see at least one sea turtle (Tortuga).

If you are lucky enough to get to dive on that day, if you want to see sand tigers then dive the Papoose (100-110 feet), if you want to do a semi-penetrating wreck then dive the Spar (60-70 feet).

North Carolina hass world class diving at local diving prices. It's the Northeast's best kept secret.

:jaws:

Atlas is what? 150fsw? Or is the the Tarpon? Papoose is 140fsw? My point is they are deep.

If you're profile is correct, I'd get a few more dives under the belt before wanting to taking to some of the deeper wrecks.

The U-352 is 112fsw to the sand and it doesn't have a lot of profile. So it will be a short dive.

The Aeolous and the Spar a two great wrecks with a lot to see at 90-95fsw and shallower.

I really like the Aeolous. If you are the first in the water swim down to the stern of the boat and you can see the sharks before the other divers scare them off!

Also the Dixie Arrow is another wreck that is usually loaded with sharks. That is like 95fsw to the sand and it has a descent profile.

Planning one day months in advance gives you a 25% chance of even getting on the boat in May on that day. As long as you understand that, and are not disappointed when things don't go as planned, all is good. You just might get the prettiest day of the month on your day, but you won against 30/1 odds.

Worth the gamble, none the less.

Atlas is what? 150fsw? Or is the the Tarpon? Papoose is 140fsw? My point is they are deep.

Atlas is 90' -110', Papoose (Hutton) is 120' max. Atlas is on the east side of the shoals, the Tarpon (140') is far east. Papoose (Hutton) is due south of the inlet on the west side of the shoals.

But it is all advanced diving.

If you are lucky enough to get to dive on that day, if you want to see sand tigers then dive the Papoose (100-110 feet), if you want to do a semi-penetrating wreck then dive the Spar (60-70 feet).
:jaws:

Mundo, you are confusing the Spar with the Indra. The Spar (105' in the sand, 70' feet on the bridge) was consistently the best shark dive all last summer, but they were pretty plentiful on the Papoose, Shurz and always thick on the east side at the Atlas and Caribsea. The Indra is a fine inshore dive that is an easy entree' into to wreck penetration.

Mundo, I haven't gotten you over to the east side but I sense it is in your immediate future. :)

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I'll be sure to manage my expectations - James and my dive profile - Paddler.

This is the last stop on the return leg of a two week road trip. So I'm really hoping Mother nature sees fit to play to my itinerary. Hell, worst case scenario - I've gotta make another trip to NC later.

But assuming the weather cooperates, and assuming I'm looking to really have some quality, safe dives and not just jam my computer in the sand to show the boys at home I'm a hero, I'm hearing that both the Spar and the Papoose can be great dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom