Spanish Rocks Anytime...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WARNING: Bradenton.com | 07/17/2008 | No-swimming advisory for Bradenton Beach

BRADENTON BEACH - A no-swimming advisory has been issued at Bradenton Beach due to high bacterial levels.

Bacteria readings collected over the past five weeks are above the Environmental Protection Agency's recommended level for swimming, said Tom Larkin, environmental manager for Manatee County.

Larkin said the water is at risk for transmitting infectious disease.

"We're advising people not to get into the water and swim because there's an increased chance of people getting a disease if they have open cuts," Larkin said.

The high bacteria levels came from the beach area near the intersection of Gulf Drive and Cortez Road.

Coquina Beach, Manatee Beach, Bayfront Park, Longboat Key are still safe for swimming.

Excessive rainfall and bird feces is to blame for the infected water at Bradenton Beach.

Larkin said a nearby erosion jetty has become a perch for seagulls and pelicans.

The recent heavy rainfall, Larkin said has likely been washing bird feces into the water.

:11:

Thanks for the update. I was getting ready to leave.

Oh well there is always next week.

[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]
That sucks...glad I got the message from Ben. I was on my way also.

Anyone doing any diving this weekend?

I'm going to Weekie Wachee with class this Saturday. If your interested let me know and we can get it set up for you to tag along.

Its an open water class that I am acting as Dive Master for. It is part of my Dive Master class (which I am almost done with). I just did their last pool session with them last night and we do Weekie Wachee Saturday morning at 7:30. The next day they are doing Devils Den but I am skipping that dive.

:11:

Thanks for the update. I was getting ready to leave.

Oh well there is always next week.

I'm up for next week. When and where? Looks like the rain will be slowing down next week.

Now, about that bacteria.....hmmmmm...I'm gonna need a paper clip, rubber band, pencil, and a pooper scooper. :D MacGyver aint got nothing on me.

still no swimming at Bradenton as of 07/18 ..... bummer.
But - "The county should know by late Wednesday whether the no-swimming advisory can be removed."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom