Sp r108

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a box of 4-40 ss allen head from a fastener store, but I didn't have a reg with me. The head turned out to be a little too large and the length a bit too long....so what length is best?

Thanks,

Couv

Bro, the ones I have are 7/16" or 11.00 mm as measured.
What's the size of the socket you have? Mine is weird, smaller than 3/32 and bigger than 5/64.

Edit
The head of my screw has a diameter of 4.22 mm or .166", and the hole in the clamp is 4.32 or .170". The McMaster Fillister head has a diameter of .183" or 4.65 mm and will not fit my clamp without some grinding.

Last edited:
With progress (attempts to demolish history and the slackening of tolerances)
and also the ageing of rubber, face to face becomes the tolerable space to space.

Evenly.

Same here: my working unit has spaces of about 1.5 - 2 mm.

couv,
What length did you try, 1/2" ? I was able to find (pretty easily) stainless 4-40's with a flat phillips head. I'm trying to use awap's suggested dremmel tool approach to get the screw heads recessed into the retainer bands....

Yes, they are hex key (allen) heads. 1/2" length. This thread forced me back to the work table for another look. I think I can live with the small amount of over length, but the heads have an appointment with the grinder.

Bro, the ones I have are 7/16" or 11.00 mm as measured.
What's the size of the socket you have? Mine is weird, smaller than 3/32 and bigger than 5/64.

Edit
The head of my screw has a diameter of 4.22 mm or .166", and the hole in the clamp is 4.32 or .170". The McMaster Fillister head has a diameter of .183" or 4.65 mm and will not fit my clamp without some grinding.

1/2 in length, the allen head I'm guessing is a 3/32...but not a perfect fit. The closest mm would be 2.5 but I haven't tried one.

Same here: my working unit has spaces of about 1.5 - 2 mm.

There are plenty of " v band clamps" in aviation. They are called v band clamps because of the cross section. The secret to installing a v band clamp correctly is to torque them down (both screws evenly) until you feel just a little resistance. Then tap on the band clamp in several places (ball peen hammer in aviation-wood table or hard plastic screwdriver for a regulator) re-torque and keep repeating until you are satisfied with the fit and feel of the torque.

I'm thinking Master Awap's K-Y Jelly might be of some use here too to reduce friction between the case and clamp.

Last edited:
Ouch! Hammering shut that piece of national treasure is a heresy!
I've got report from reliable source that Master awap uses it to drive nails, but then he's the Master. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom