SP MK21/S560 vs Atomic Z2 vs Zeagle FH8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

71 Fish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Spent some time looking at posts here for opinions on regulators. We will be diving warm clean water so I think either diaphragm or piston would be fine (for some reason I think I like diaphragm better?). I will need one with an Octo and one without (my daughter has SP Air2 on her BC). I started out looking at the Aqualung Mikron for my daughter but now feel smaller is not a must. I am leaning towards purchasing one of these soon (all available locally) and hope to get your opinions (quality, breathability,serviceability, dependability...).

SP MK21/S560: Did not see much about this one here, see a lot about the MK17 and MK25. I was told at my dive shop the 21 and the 25 are the same except for the swivel turret and I dont need that.

Atomic Z2: Seems to get a lot of praise and Divernet seems to have a lot of good to say about it. I was surprised that I can get it locally for the same price as on line. Looking at the cost of the 2nd stage alone it looks like most of the cost is there and that makes me wonder about the first stage quality. I like the longer maintenance intervals (appears to be due to seat operation).

Zeagle FH8: Dont see much on this one either (maybe because it is new out). I really like this one the best.

Thanks, Kevin

Spent some time looking at posts here for opinions on regulators. We will be diving warm clean water so I think either diaphragm or piston would be fine (for some reason I think I like diaphragm better?). I will need one with an Octo and one without (my daughter has SP Air2 on her BC). I started out looking at the Aqualung Mikron for my daughter but now feel smaller is not a must. I am leaning towards purchasing one of these soon (all available locally) and hope to get your opinions (quality, breathability,serviceability, dependability...).

SP MK21/S560: Did not see much about this one here, see a lot about the MK17 and MK25. I was told at my dive shop the 21 and the 25 are the same except for the swivel turret and I dont need that. A less expensive Scubapro octo option is to pair it with their R095 octo. I don't know if you saw it but there's also a 5-port fixed cap available for the Mk21. The 4 ports are at 30o instead of 20o for hose routing and there's a 5th "high-flow" port in the center. I leave it to you to decide if that's marketing hype. Mk21's are maybe 2? years old now which is why there's not much about them yet.

Atomic Z2: Seems to get a lot of praise and Divernet seems to have a lot of good to say about it. I was surprised that I can get it locally for the same price as on line. Looking at the cost of the 2nd stage alone it looks like most of the cost is there and that makes me wonder about the first stage quality. I like the longer maintenance intervals (appears to be due to seat operation).

Zeagle FH8: Dont see much on this one either (maybe because it is new out). I really like this one the best.
You can't go wrong with any of them. I don't personally know much about the Zeagle so won't comment on it.

Your dive shop is wrong about the Mk25/21 though. The Mk21 is smaller with fixed ports and is a recent newer design, the Mk25 has been around over a decade - still one of the best. A less expensive Scubapro option is to pair either Mk21/25 with their R095 octo. I don't know if you saw it but there's also a 5-port fixed cap available for the Mk21. The 4 ports are at 30o instead of 20o for hose routing and there's a 5th "high-flow" port in the center. I leave it to you to decide if that's marketing hype.
The MK21 is SCUBAPRO's first balanced-piston first stage to be released since the introduction of the MK25. It is smaller and lighter than the MK25 and uses a smaller piston, but it delivers the same level of breathing performance

Scubapro also has a 2 year recommended service interval. The difference is in the dive count - 100 vs. 300 for Atomic:
SCUBAPRO regulators need to be serviced every 24 months or 100 dives, whichever comes first, by an authorized SCUBAPRO dealer.
I wouldn't worry about the perceived low price on the Atomic - what they sell the 2nd at retail has little bearing on what the 1st stage cost to manufacture. There's more invested in the 1st stage than the 2nd on any regulator combo.

I dive Atomic. Have for about 15 years now. The company was started by two ScubaPro engineers who thought they could build something better - IMO they did. Every Atomic breathes the same - extremely easy at all depths. The difference in pricing is mostly related to the metals used - as you go up in price more Titanium gets introduced. The Z2 has it where it counts though - the demand lever and the orifice on the 2nd making it lighter/smaller. So less jaw fatigue. Add $100 for the comfort swivel hose - that becomes a Z2x.

Also Atomic has factory recommended 2 year/300 dive service interval. Their seat-saver orifice is why - it moves one off the other ever so slightly when non-pressurized which extends the life of the seat while in storage since it doesn't imprint. The flipside is it's possible water could travel up from the second stage and into the first while rinsing it. The simple solution is keep the 2nd out of the water while rinsing the first then reverse. It's not rocket science...if water does get in, just hook it to tank and blow air thru it for 2 seconds. Problem solved. For the same reason you wouldn't want an Atomic on an un-pressurized pony bottle while diving. Octo pricing on Atomics runs a little higher since they demand the same performance out of it as their primary. I have a Z1 on my T2 it's basically the same reg body with a yellow cover and no swivel.

I really don't see how you could go wrong with either.

Thank you for the great input

The Z2 has it where it counts though - the demand lever and the orifice on the 2nd making it lighter/smaller. So less jaw fatigue. Add $100 for the comfort swivel hose - that becomes a Z2x.

If the swivel will make for even less jaw fatique for my daughter I would opt for it, any opinions?

I did not see a Z2x but I did see a Z3 and it has a swivel hose. Seems like it was $529

Anyone else on the Zeagle?

I was looking at exactly the same three regs a few weeks ago, and decided to go with the Z2 based on all of the positive comments on SB- plus my LDS offered me a 10% discount for buying the Z2 octo as well.

I just got back from the local pool where I spent a hour and half checking out the Z2 for the first time (along with my new Zeagle Express tech). I almost forgot I was breathing underwater after a few minutes. Just effortless. Of course it was only 12 feet of water, but it felt really nice in the mouth - no fatigue at all.

If the swivel will make for even less jaw fatique for my daughter I would opt for it, any opinions?

I did not see a Z2x but I did see a Z3 and it has a swivel hose. Seems like it was $529
Looks like they finally discontinued the Z2x at retail. Makes sense since the Z3 is the newer model for $20 more. All a Z2x was was a Z2 with the swivel hose for $509. Atomic still lists them on their shopatron site at atomicaquatics.com but I'd just buy the Z3 now instead.

I like the swivel. Almost too much. I film and there's been at least a couple times when I've gotten a mouthful of water - I relaxed my jaw so much the regulator fell out of my mouth...

Although my previous B1 didn't have one and I never noticed it pulling either. Having 7 LP ports makes it easy to pick the right one.

The other consideration is that the Atomic swivel doesn't come apart in use unlike some 3rd party versions.

The other consideration is that the Atomic swivel doesn't come apart in use unlike some 3rd party versions.

So I have a swivel from some old equipment I had acquired. Looking on line at rebuild kit pictures, it looks like the Omni kit has the parts need so maybe its an Omni. OK to use? My apologies for wearing this out, I believe I will go with Atomic just not sure if I will get my daughter the 2 or 3.

You should read this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/509919-weight-regulators.html

Some good info on all three you are looking at (Zeagle, Apeaks, HOG are all similar).

When I looking for new regs sometime ago I was looking at the same. I went with Atomic because the second stages are more streamline and weigh less. While not so important to me for the second stage but it was for my wife. So those are our regs - we have Z2s, M1s, and Tx2s

I have no experience with Zeagle. But between Mk21/S560 vs Atomic Z2, I will definite go for Atomic Z2. While they may perform very similar, Atomic IMO has better workmanship than SP. On top of that Z2 has metal inlet tube in 2nd stage. S560 has plastic. I think you will feel the moisture difference in breath air.

Having that said, if you meaning travel to dive, SP will have better world wide support than Atomic.

I'm done for now, I wound up purchasing one Atomic Z2 with a Zeagle Envoy II (I think, it was $139.00) for a safe 2nd and one Z3 from a local dive shop. I liked the 2 year service interval and it is getting great reviews on quality and breathability including what I read here which was mostly positive. I didn't get a BC for myself yet, I will rent one of those on my upcoming trip. Thanks for all the input. Kevin

So I have a swivel from some old equipment I had acquired. Looking on line at rebuild kit pictures, it looks like the Omni kit has the parts need so maybe its an Omni. OK to use? My apologies for wearing this out, I believe I will go with Atomic just not sure if I will get my daughter the 2 or 3.
I know very little about that except that when people change from the Atomic swivel hose to Miflex needing to buy a Jam nut is mentioned. And I'm not even sure if/when that applies. I just dive em, somebody else works on mine.

I think scaredsilly might know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom