SP Jets vs OMS slipstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
Can't say I've ever smelled my Jets.
What's so great about lighter fins?
Why would you want holes in the fins? Fill them up with water as you get out and they're great for rinsing off gear that now has sand/dirt on it, especially if you're doing a shore entry and have to walk out.
What's good about a handle on the foot strap? Get spring straps for the Jets...
What's good about a softer foot pocket? Wear some booties and you're good to go. I've never noticed an issue with a "hard" foot pocket in Jets...

Personally you can have my Jets when you pry them from my cold dead fingers. :D

Yeah ok. You may be a die hard jets fan, but honestly this thread was made for people who want something like the jets but have one or more of the differences I posted in my original post. The biggest disadvantages to the jets is they are negative and sizing is off. The foot pocket on the jets kills the top of my foot, even with my hard top boots on.

For many, the negative weighting of the Jets is very desirable. Helps with floaty feet, esp. in a DS.

For others, it's a negative, at which point alternatives such as the slipstreams are great.

For me, I also like that the Jets are enclosed pockets, so I can bring water back to the car to rinse sand off my gear after a shore exit. I would miss that with Slipstreams... but I'd live, one way or the other.

The smell of natural rubber never bothered me one way or the other. It just is.

Definitely get spring straps. Makes your jets about the same cost, perhaps a touch less, than your DR fins. (As long as you get the reasonably priced ones and avoid overpriced H, etc.) Well worth it.

I like my Jets a lot. But I'll be picking up some Slipstreams for travel, where weight matters more. It's good to have options. :D So it's nice to read a good review of them.

as far as the negative part ... if you trim out correctly, you won't have any problems. i have fins of all buoyancies and i never have issues with sinking or floating feet in either a wetsuit or a drysuit.

as for the enclosed pockets ... if you like the fact they hold water, awesome, if you like for your fins to drain, pull out that handy dandy drill and put a couple small holes in the front of the pocket (about 2 1/4" holes were all i needed to kill the suction)

but in general, do what works for you as far as fins, it is personal gear and it needs to be comfortable and efficient for you

Does anyone know if the ScubaPro Jet fin size is comperable to the OMS XL Slipstreams?

I love the Jet Fins for cold water driving in a drysuit as the negetive buoyancy is an advantage but in warm water my legs are way heavy with a 5mm suit, weight added up high and 7 mm booties.

I went from an XL Jet to XL OMS. Same, if not better fit as the OMS are a bit softer and form to my foot better.

I agree with what johnny said. The size is about the same and the foot pocket on the OMS is softer...

I've been diving the OMS fin for about 2 years now. I have dove jets and Turtles, the OMS beats them both. Better pocket, stiffer fin and you use less power to kick since the weight of the turtle of jet is not there.

I dive in a CLX450 w/ bp.w singles and doubles and I have never had a problem with trim

Have just started using OMS Slipstream and have been very pleased. Easy to put on and light, no foot or leg cramps which had been a problem with the long Mares fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom