SP Jets vs OMS slipstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankc420

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok so, I've dove with jets and, I don't like them, the foot pockets are too stiff, the sizes are off, and they are HEAVY. So, I bought a pair of OMS slipstreams off LP.

So far, I've noticed:

They don't smell bad like the jets
They are lighter (by a good bit IMO)
They have holes in the foot pocket for water to drain
They have a handle on the foot strap
They have a softer (much softer) foot pocket
Compared to my Mares Volo fins, the foot pocket seems right (XL vs XL)

I haven't dove them yet as I received them yesterday, but I plan to hit the pool sometime today or tomorrow and I'll post again to tell you guys/gals how they compare! I'll actually wear the jets first then the slipstreams to get a good comparison UW.

Hold up well? You mean they deteriorate quickly?

I'm interested in your experience with them. I've been trying to decide between those two and the Dive Rites. My LDS doesn't carry Jetfins (or any Scubapro for that matter) but they do have OMS and Dive Rite. So, it's not like I can try all three on for a comparison. Thanks...
**D**

Well it'll be tomorrow or Monday before I can get in the pool to test them.. going out tonight. I'll keep the thread updated though.

DaleHall:
I'm interested in your experience with them. I've been trying to decide between those two and the Dive Rites. My LDS doesn't carry Jetfins (or any Scubapro for that matter) but they do have OMS and Dive Rite. So, it's not like I can try all three on for a comparison. Thanks...
**D**

I dived a new pair of Jets today...and the jury is still out. I previously was diving the Dive Rite fins. I found the Jets to be more comfortable than the Dive Rites as far as fit and kicking. I like that the Jets are shorter than the DR. The DR fins take some leg to move in the water (read stiff and sometimes tiring with a scissor kick). I like the spring straps on the DR fins. I have read some posts by some on the Jets and was expecting great things...it didn't happen

What I noticed most was that using the frog kick the Jets were lacking as compared to the DR fins. But when scissor kicking the Jets are really efficient. I feel like the DR fins give me more bang for my buck /$99 for the fins and the spring straps as compared to $65 for the Jets with rubber straps. I know that spring straps can be added to the Jets with little effort and about 30-40$. I only made one dive today...so I would like to take both fins back out again and dive one pair and then the other.

It could be that I just am not used to using the jets yet and once I do they will kick Butt...but as for now I still am not sold on the Jets.

I got my Slipsteams a few weeks ago. Four ocean dives and some freediving in the pool. Do I like them? Well, my Jetfins are now on ebay!:)

I got them because the Jets were making me foot heavy and the pockets were literally tearing up the tops of my feet. Both problems solved with the OMS fins.

The only diffence I notice in the water between these two are that the Slipstreams are MUCH more comfortable on my feet. They might be slightly more flexible, but I found it easier to control my kicks (maybe due to the better fit).

Ok, I dove my slipstreams today in the pool. I have to say, they are very comfy! The foot pocket is ALOT softer than jets and they are identical, other than the fact that the slips have holes in the bottom of the boot hole so water can drain, and it also eliminates that suction effect you get with jets if it's a tight squeeze.

I'm guessing 2 slips are almost the same weight as a single jet. It's obvious the slips are slightly negative.. but compared to the jets there is no comparison. We dropped the slip into the water and waited for it to start to sink. Did the same with a jet next to it, and it hit the bottom before the slip did.

My buddy says the jets are stiffer, maybe so, but honestly I couldn't tell a difference.

frankc420:
So far, I've noticed:

They don't smell bad like the jets
They are lighter (by a good bit IMO)
They have holes in the foot pocket for water to drain
They have a handle on the foot strap
They have a softer (much softer) foot pocket
Compared to my Mares Volo fins, the foot pocket seems right (XL vs XL)
Can't say I've ever smelled my Jets.
What's so great about lighter fins?
Why would you want holes in the fins? Fill them up with water as you get out and they're great for rinsing off gear that now has sand/dirt on it, especially if you're doing a shore entry and have to walk out.
What's good about a handle on the foot strap? Get spring straps for the Jets...
What's good about a softer foot pocket? Wear some booties and you're good to go. I've never noticed an issue with a "hard" foot pocket in Jets...

Personally you can have my Jets when you pry them from my cold dead fingers. :D

SparticleBrane:
What's so great about lighter fins?
My jets make my feet sink while diving in a wet suit and stuffs up my trim.
Why would you want holes in the fins?
I like drain holes in my fins. I may go drill some in my jets
What's good about a handle on the foot strap?
Isnt the strap a handle??
Personally you can have my Jets when you pry them from my cold dead fingers. :D
Thats OK you can keep them. I wouldnt like to wear anything someone died in.
:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom