SP Jet fin foot pocket repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's an article by Edwin Thomas I found online:

How to Repair Rubber Dive Fins
The majority of dive fins on the market today are mostly plastic, but all fins have rubber parts and some high-end fins are still made using all-rubber construction. Rubber fins are more flexible than their plastic counterparts, but they are also less durable and more prone to tearing and other forms of damage. To get the most out of your rubber fins, a little knowledge of how to patch up tears and holes in the rubber is necessary.

Instructions

Difficulty: Easy

Tears and Splits
Things You’ll Need:
  • Pocket knife
  • Waterproof glue
  • Duct tape
  • Sandpaper
  • Tape measure or ruler
  • Bicycle inner tube
Step 1
Cut away any loose or hanging bits of rubber with a pocket knife. Prepare the tear or split in the fin by scratching the surface of the rubber on both sides with your pocket knife. Do not gouge the rubber, but make sure it has a rough surface, as it's better for the application of adhesives.
Step 2. Apply a bead of waterproof adhesive to one side of the split or tear in the fin, and then force the two sides together. Wetsuit glue is a suitable choice, since it is commonly found in dive shops, but another waterproof glue will do in a pinch.
Step 3
Lay down a strip of tape down the top and bottom of the split. This both helps to hold the tear together and helps create a better finish when the repair is done. Allow the adhesive to dry for six to eight hours, then carefully pull up the duct tape.

Holes

Step 1
Shape the hole in the rubber fin by sanding it into a bowl-like shape with medium-grit sandpaper. This inevitably widens one end of the hole, but that is necessary for the repair. Sanding also roughens the surface for a good adhesive bond.
Step 2
Measure the top and bottom of the bowl-like hole you widened in your rubber fin with a tape measure or ruler.
Step 3
Cut out pieces from an old bicycle inner tube, making the first piece the same size as the wide end of the hole in your rubber dive fin. Then cut successive pieces of rubber, each one smaller than the one before, and stack these pieces up. When you have a stack as thick as your fin, stop cutting.
Step 4
Glue the inner tube pieces together using a waterproof glue, one stacked on top of another--from smallest to largest--so they form a conical plug.
Step 5
Apply a dab of waterproof glue into the hole in your rubber fin, and push the plug you made in Step 4 into the hole. Allow the waterproof glue to dry for six to eight hours before you attempt to use the fin.

How to Repair Rubber Dive Fins | Trails.com

Thank you. I referenced this during my repair today.

(I'm repairing Rocket fins, not jet fins as per the original post... Figured the repair is similar enough.)

Photos below:

Rough up all sides of the rip.
received_190514355105047.jpeg

Let the rubber cement cure till tacky:
received_753558718317537.jpeg

Same for the patch cut from a bicycle inner tube. Roughed up and rubber cement applied and allowed to semi dry. Also replacing the rubber fin straps with springs (needed the rubber for the repair.)
received_508504466286036.jpeg

First firmly pressed together the faces of the rip. Tacky cement holding the gap closed.
received_2167595106838306.jpeg

Install patch firmly pressed in place and trimmed.
received_257362108260980.jpeg

Spring straps installed while waiting.
received_1940313819386756.jpeg

Finished repairs and modifications.
received_332210087556230.jpeg

I know it's ugly but for 40 minutes work including a lunch break/cleanup I'm fairly pleased.

Testing them later today.

As always, critique welcome. I like picking up other ideas and ways of doing things.

As a side question: Any clever way to approximately date these fins? They had decades on them before I got them.

Cameron

Update: My repair job didn't hold.

Plan B: visited the local cobbler for 2$ and left with a Frankenstein repair. Also splurged on 40 cents of clear tubing to cover the springstraps, warmed to bend into a curve.

20181106_121545.jpg

Scuba pro jets have a lifetime warranty. Take them to your dealer and exchange for a new set.

Update: My repair job didn't hold.

Plan B: visited the local cobbler for 2$ and left with a Frankenstein repair. Also splurged on 40 cents of clear tubing to cover the springstraps, warmed to bend into a curve.

View attachment 487629
They are horrible fins, heavy and no power. Jet fins are better. If you must use them, just duct tape them at least that will hold and not fail catastrophically at the worst time.

That's a great price on some nice fins! Budget is tight these days but would love to have them in time for the new divers next summer.

They are horrible fins, heavy and no power. Jet fins are better. If you must use them, just duct tape them at least that will hold and not fail catastrophically at the worst time.
20181106_180057.jpg

I don't mind the rocket fins. Might be sentimental towards them, some of the first fins I used but I've tried dozens of other fins over the years. Haven't found them horrible. I'll dive some jets for the rest of the week and see how they feel. Fairly long dives with some solid current. Bought some more springs and will do the project this evening to bring a pair of 4$ jets to life (broken strap).

Cameron

@northernone The fins pictured for sale have the lightning bolt through the insignia. The fin with the Frankenstein repair does not have the lightning bolt. My experience has been that the Lightning Jet Fins hold up a lot better and are much less likely to tear. The Jet Fin that I repaired does not have the lightning bolt. I own approximately seven of the lightning fins and none have torn or look like they are likely to tear any time soon.

One pair a friend picked up for me at a thrift store on Hawai'i for $7. They did not match--one had the lightning bolt and the other didn't. The one that didn't tore. I now have a spare fin but they could be used as a pair, but since one is a bit stiffer the diver might end up swimming in circles.

I don't like the XL fins because they won't fit in my carry-on :wink:

Back
Top Bottom