SP - A vs R vs S vs G?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMyMyOHellYes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am getting very confused discussing SP 2nds.

I am kinda coming back around to appreciating AA. Make one second stage. Period. That doesn't confuse me. (well, maybe two, but pretty much the same design, just some different materials - I understand that Ti, like Mg and Na, might not behave well around high concentrations of O2)

OMMOHY

There is only one good one and you’ve left that letter out.
I still feel the best ones don't have a letter designator (108/109/156)! But I do love some chrome, lol.

Respectfully,

James

I still feel the best ones don't have a letter designator (108/109/156)! But I do love some chrome, lol.

Respectfully,

James
I admit I don't know all the letters or what they stand for. That's the question....

OMMOHY

Like @OMyMyOHellYes I would love to see a brief discussion of Scubapro A, C, D, G, R, and S 2nd stage regulators from some of the SB regulator gurus.

I'm no guru, but what I had heard is that the letter designator reflects which engineer designed it. But that's just a half remembered "I think I heard." I will note that it looks to me like it doesn't matter from an operator level, because I haven't seen any number designators repeated with different prefixes. Rendering it mostly something for us to get pedantic about!

Respectfully,

James

It’s really not worth trying to make any conclusions based on the letter, they are mostly meaningless. The D is my preference followed by the G260 and S as in s600/620. The ”G” doesn’t mean much the G250 is a solid reg which is a plastic 109 in effect but also there is the G250 hp which is a melding of the G and S (by the way once the more modern # type adjuster is added it’s a fine reg.) the G500 is the beginning of the s type but with the not so good adjuster and a tiny asperator hole. Don’t forget the “C” …

just pick a size you like

At a very basic level, I think I und3rstood that R was a downstream valve design and that S was a balanced design, but I'm likely wrong.... But would like to know!

At a very basic level, I think I und3rstood that R was a downstream valve design and that S was a balanced design, but I'm likely wrong.... But would like to know!
Sort of and more often the case than not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom