SP-350 buyer's remorse ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A thought about the hemostat: heat shrink tubing applied over each jaw might pad them sufficiently and add some grip.

The notched pry bar idea, was not a suggestion to pry the trigger button. I have the housing and you are right, the button pad is not directly attached to the trigger shaft. I was thinking that the "V" shaped notch could be applied against the trigger shaft, with the edge of the housing acting as the fulcrum, to pry it up.

As to greasing the trigger shaft. It may be best to completely fill the cavity in the housing column around the trigger shaft with grease. Probably the same silicone grease used on the "O" ring. Getting a thin film of grease in there may simply trap debris around the trigger shaft.

lifeisfullofgooddives:
the reason I bought my ikelite besides the TTL is that I haven't heard anyone with a ikelite 350 housing flooding theirs yet....of course that's not to say it won't or can't happen.

I had two floods in a C-5050 Ikelite housing (2 dead cameras, so much for redundancy). O-ring was fully sealed, no apparent explanation. Floods were big (3/4 full each time). This was after a thorough inspection + TTL conversion from Ikelite. I haven't contacted them yet / shipped it back so I want to give them a big benefit of the doubt. I've got 9+ years experience in UW photography and have never flooded cameras or flashes before so I'm quite mystified. I'll post the full story after I get the housing back from Ikelite. So far, I've had wonderful customer service from them so I'm willing to give them a big benefit of the doubt. But you've now heard about flood problems with a $600+ Ikelite housing when the O-ring appeared to be perfectly sealed (and I carefully prepped the camera the night before both times, no rush install the night before the dive). :(

sorry to hear I can no longer say that!

seriously that is quite strange that it flooded twice? I have no idea how it could have happened. hopefully ikelite can figure it out for you and replace your stuff. I have heard from many people about the great customer service, so I definatly think they will work with you.

Just curious what depth you were at when the flooding happened? if it was real deep maybe there was a real small tear in the O-ring? Not sure that's just a guess. I look forward to your next post to see what they said.

Flooding a camera is sure a drag - but - "SP-350 buyer's remorse"?

If the housing failed is the camera to be blamed? I recently found the SP-350 for $199 at COSTCO and recommended it to several friends as a great value. While they do not dive, it is a sweet camera! I read that professional underwater photographers considered all cameras disposable. That cracked me up! Sad - but - true I guess. I hope that you find a happy ground and best wishes on your future adventures!

Torcatdog:
Flooding a camera is sure a drag - but - "SP-350 buyer's remorse"?

If the housing failed is the camera to be blamed?
I blame neither the camera nor the housing. They're just products.

When I purchase a product, what matters to me is how well the people who make and sell that product support it. When I deal with a company who treats me like a problem with the product is MY problem, and not theirs, then that's a company who doesn't deserve my business.

The SP-350 is a reasonably good camera ... but it would be a good idea to consider it "disposable" if the time should come that you need to deal with the Olympus customer service folks.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes ... they replaced the housing ... I received the new one on Wednesday. Time will tell now if the previous one was a lemon, or if this is simply a design "feature".

At this point ... given that the prices have dropped so dramatically ... I'm going to do as previously suggested and just think of it as a disposable camera. Took it for a spin the other night ... posted here a couple of pics I took on the new housing's first dive ...

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=157827

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Those came out really nice, Bob. I'm with you on the price. Costco has the things in a card pack now at $199 and I'm probably going to buy a spare for flood insurance and topside use when my other ones in the housing. (I'm sick of water spots on my shots taken from the boat!) Glad you got your housing taken care of.

wow....nice shots! glad to hear they replaced the housing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom