Southern Vancouver Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NavyDoll

Contributor
Reaction score
I've had a few people ask about the 'local' dive sites in & around Victoria, BC... so here's a short list of a couple of my personal favourites (in no particular order)!!

Race Rocks (boat dive)... the best place to dive with sea lions... especially during the winter!! the site also has alot of plant life and can be very colourful in the spring. plan to dive this site a slack tide... as the currents can be very strong. it is a drift dive and live boat is highly recommended!

Ogden Point (shore dive)... at the "Breakwater" for Victoria Hrb. Site of Ogden Point Dive Shop (which is handy for air fills and renting any gear you might have forgotten). The highlight of diving the Breakwater is seeing wolf-eel and octopi. I've also run into a seal at this site, as well as a ratfish!!

Saanich Inlet (shore dives)... 3 great sites along the Saanich Peninsula side of the Inlet!! MacKenzie Bight, Willis Point and Henderson Point. The Inlet is great place to dive in fall, winter & spring.. but not such a great place to dive during JellyFish season! These sites are great for deep diving... along the 'walls'. Six-Gills have been seen at MacKenzie in the summer months.. as have Dog Fish. We've also seen a few cloud sponges in the area!!

And last, but definitely not least... the WRECKS!! GB Church & HMCS MacKenzie. These two dives (boat dives) make a great day of diving. We go from the Tulista Boat Launch in Sidney. Despite being sunk behind Gooch Island.. diving on the MacKenzie is strongly affected by the currents & tides. Check the tide tables before planning a dive here!!

A little further north.. the HMCS Saskatchewan & HMCS Cape Breton lie in about 90-100ft of water... off Snake Island!! Only had the chance to dive these ships once.. but I can't wait to go back!!

This is an sample of the diving in the Victoria & southern VI area... feel free to ask questions, etc.. :)

I've done Naniamo but haven't been to Victoria yet and would like to see some (all!) of the sites you mention.

What dive boats would you recommend?

Also, I know that Vic can be expensive. Would you know of any decently priced lodges/hotels that are diver friendly?

thanks

mark

When I visited Victoria last month, I was going to stay at the Travelodge, which is conveniently located very close to downtown (Douglas st) and quoted me a price below $100 CAD. I say "was" because my friend was finally able to make it back home at the time I was visiting so she was nice enough to let me stay at her place. Buy you might try that hotel.

Only dove in Port Hardy, so I unfortunately can't help you with dive contacts. However, my friend says that when I return next Fall, we will have to base ourselves from Nanaimo as it's more centrally located for the most interesting sites in the area.... not a big problem as it's very cheap, I spent one night there (BlueBird motel) for less than $60 CAD.

I only knew about the wrecks, but I'll make sure I enquire about NavyDoll's suggestions (Race Rocks, Ogden Point, Saanich Inlet) to see how they compare to the Port Hardy area. I dove the Canadian East coast a few years back, but from what I've seen so far, the PNW has much more to offer (and I can't wait to go back).

NavyDoll once bubbled...

This is an sample of the diving in the Victoria & southern VI area... feel free to ask questions, etc.. :)

When I return to Victoria next Fall, one thing I'm really curious to evaluate is the difference between the reefs of a virgin, middle-of-nowhere area like Port Hardy/Queen Charlotte Straight, and a highly populated area like the Nanaimo-Victoria corridor and the heavy naval traffic Georgia Straight experiences every day. What is the most northern point on Vancouver Island you have dove so far? The Columbia in Campbell river? Do you see any difference between the two areas?

When I return to Victoria next Fall, one thing I'm really curious to evaluate is the difference between the reefs of a virgin, middle-of-nowhere area like Port Hardy/Queen Charlotte Straight, and a highly populated area like the Nanaimo-Victoria corridor and the heavy naval traffic Georgia Straight experiences every day.

Yes, they're quite different, but any differences due to traffic are going to be eclipsed by the effect of salinity and productivity - the Georgia Basin is significantly less saline than the outside. The Fraser, Squamish, and all those other rivers at the head of each inlet going north dump a lot of fresh water into the Basin.

Nanaimo.... HMCS CAPE BRETON, HMCS SASKATCHEWAN and Clark Rock are the furthest 'north' I've been diving.. off the coast of Vancouver Island!!

The only real difference I noticed when diving the CAPE BRETON & SASKATCHEWAN was that the water seemed alot darker and the vis seemed less... than what I was used to.. diving the HMCS MACKENZIE.

There are some really nice dives from some of the Gulf Islands... like the Tilly Point Cavern... on Pender Island. I also know a number of people that like to dive at Gabriola Island!

Another popular destination for diving is 'God's Pocket'. I've also heard that Active Pass (boat dive) is a great diving experience!

:scuba:

NavyDoll once bubbled...
Another popular destination for diving is 'God's Pocket'. I've also heard that Active Pass (boat dive) is a great diving experience!

:scuba: [/B]

My live-aboard docked at God's Pocket one night when I was vacationing last month, and we dove a couple of the sites that they usually frequent. I surely plan to head back in that direction a subsequent year, once I discover what Southern Vancouver Island diving is like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom