Southern swampers need some help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lukiedukie

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I need to know a few thigns as I am trying to help Firegoddess out with some of her homework. I can not find 2 things, wind direction (winter,summer) and ocean currents in Gulf of Mexico around Galveston Island. I ahve treid searching Noaa and I am coming up blank any help would be great. If you know the information but can not point me to a web site that would be great. Her Oceanography professor did not ask her to cite where she go the information.

Any help would be great.

The water current in the gulf comes up from Central America, moves north along the Texas coast, moves east towards florida and then north along the easrtern seaboard into the gulf stream.

NorthAtlanticsurfac.jpg

As for wind direction, I've always understood that the winds in winter are larelgy from the north (cold air) and in the summer they are from the south.

But, being in Tornado Alley our winds are all sorts of fubared :D

Lukiedukie:
I need to know a few thigns as I am trying to help Firegoddess out with some of her homework. I can not find 2 things, wind direction (winter,summer) and ocean currents in Gulf of Mexico around Galveston Island. I ahve treid searching Noaa and I am coming up blank any help would be great. If you know the information but can not point me to a web site that would be great. Her Oceanography professor did not ask her to cite where she go the information.

Any help would be great.

Winds are out of the SE most of the time.
This link may help click on the bouys and go to the historical data page.
Current in Galveston is a longshore current running up the coast. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/marine.htm

Randy

Thanks, guys. I found some bathymetric charts and got the information from those. Thanks for the help, though!

Now that Oceanography homework is done, I'm going back to my paper on coral reefs!

Back
Top Bottom