Southern Ontario pics - 21/7/2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Can't compete with the tropics, but here are a couple of shots of our local marine life. Big Bay Point, Lake Simcoe, Ontario. 21/7/2004

Actually, I can only wish! Close, but it's actually a crayfish (or crawdad, depending on where you are from). There are thousands of them at that site and they all come out at night. Now if they were all lobsters, well, I'd be there every night with a goodie bag in hand.

Good dive, Warren. Just goes to prove that not all wildlife is found on warm reefs!

I wish you had seen the red-and-blue-shiny fish I saw as I was swimming in by the dock, I'm sure you could have done it justice with your camera.

lol i thought he was a crab

pretty colors on the crayfish

FreeFloat:
Good dive, Warren. Just goes to prove that not all wildlife is found on warm reefs!

I wish you had seen the red-and-blue-shiny fish I saw as I was swimming in by the dock, I'm sure you could have done it justice with your camera.
Yeah, it was a blast! Didn't get many diver shots this time, but I'll try to remember to snap a couple of you in action next time.

H2Andy:
lol i thought he was a crab

pretty colors on the crayfish
Yeah, most of colour of our marine life is usually one of a million shades of green or brown around here. I showed that pic to a few people and they thought it looked like a crab too. Hard to tell as the little guy was hiding in a crevice encrusted with zebra mussels.

Warren_L:
Actually, I can only wish! Close, but it's actually a crayfish (or crawdad, depending on where you are from). There are thousands of them at that site and they all come out at night. Now if they were all lobsters, well, I'd be there every night with a goodie bag in hand.
Really now! how cool...and they don't taste like lobster then, do they?....lol...cool looking anyway.:D

Here in our neck of Texas, we call 'em crawfish.

Lisa....can't say they taste like lobster but they are very good! It just take a bazillion of them for a meal! Living this close to Louisiana, crawfish boils are very popular. We buy them by the sack full...that's a 50lb grain sack! A few years ago, one of the local rice farmers decided rice wasn't earning him much money so he turned his 100acre rice farm into a crawfish farm. After about 5 years, he retired to Florida!

I've actually had crawfish before. Don't taste much like lobster, but good nonetheless (I was eying the 2lb Smallmouth Bass in the other picture - now that's a meal!!). The problem is that they are so small that you need a whole bunch of them to make a meal, just like Dee's 50 lb sack! Ok, may not 50lbs worth, but a couple of pounds anyway.

I hear they are pretty popular down south, especially in places like Louisiana.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom