Southern Cross Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkaelin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Planning a SCC trip late May '24. Looking for any advice and suggestions from those who have stayed there before. Two couples. Two divers, one avid fisherman, one happy to hang out and chill. This will be our first stay at SCC. Very familiar with GCM and dove LC in 2010. Thanks. TK

We love SCC, it is where we will always stay. Advice….hmmmm. You only need 1 pair of shoes and those are for travel Food will be better than you expect. Large dive boats and have never had more than 8 divers. Very laid back no tv no radio no alarm clocks. For meals they ring a triangle. We did notice more sargassum and it’s killed turtle grass which bone fish hid in and ocean hard to swim in. Go to Point of Sand, scc will pack you a picnic, take you and pick you up. No need to rent a car.

Ask away. You will have a fantastic time.

Bill

We love SCC, it is where we will always stay. Advice….hmmmm. You only need 1 pair of shoes and those are for travel Food will be better than you expect. Large dive boats and have never had more than 8 divers. Very laid back no tv no radio no alarm clocks. For meals they ring a triangle. We did notice more sargassum and it’s killed turtle grass which bone fish hid in and ocean hard to swim in. Go to Point of Sand, scc will pack you a picnic, take you and pick you up. No need to rent a car.

Ask away. You will have a fantastic time.

Bill
Thanks Bill. Does it matter where on the property we stay? Do you have a preferred cottage or a cottage you think is less desirable?

The only negative I remember (other than a norther in Dec) from a stay a long time at a different but nearby property was a stinky smell from the pond across the street. Was that ever an issue for you?
How about bugs in May? Any issue?

Thanks again.

Does it matter where on the property we stay? Do you have a preferred cottage or a cottage you think is less desirable?
We’ve stayed in the two-level houses,always on the ground floor to minimize camera-lugging. They are lovely, with nice porches and outdoor showers. We’ve also stayed in one of the older units on the north (?) end of the resort. They were a different vibe, a little 1970s-y, maybe? But they have their own charms, including hammocks, some shade, and a bit of a neighborhood feel. We’ll be back, as they still have a pre-pandemic deposit, and won’t worry about what’s available. The pond can definitely stink, but I don’t remember ever smelling it at SCC.

We also prefer the deluxe bungalow but like the upstairs units for the breeze. I think they are only $25 a night more, well worth it. Either of the 2 story units are great. They do have a honeymoon suite with an out door loo. Not sure if I would enjoy that as much as the outdoor showers. Never had any smell. May is a great month.

Diver master mike just passed dive number 11,111. Figure pretty soon he’ll get this down.

I may just have to book a trip. Cayman air has a sale going on and all this talk about scc makes me want to go back…..as long as I do not repeat my last experience

Hopefully you will never need medical but keep in mind Dr is only on the island on Wednesday from 9 till noon.

b

Thanks Bill, will look into the sale

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom