Southern California Marine Biology?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

occdn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am very interested in marine conservation and marine biology. In fact it is one of the reasons I got into SCUBA. My question is, are there any GREAT programs in Southern California to get me started in a career in Marine Conservation?

Not sure about your career path, a great start to learning about local marine life is to volunteer as a Reef Check California diver. The training is excellent and the survey experience invaluable. Check out Reef Check - Saving Reefs Worldwide and click on the ReefCheck California tab.

Posted via Mobile Device

If you are interested in Marine Biology as a hobby, volunteer programs like Reef Check are a great way to go. If you actually want to become a Marine Biologist, you best have a 4.0 from a reasonable university, and go for a masters, and then a PHD. My Cuz is one of the rare exceptions in that she has managed to work as a Marine Biologist for over 30 years. However she is Highly trained, and poorly paid. It also comes with a pricetag.. either a required amount of teaching, or a large amount of kissing private ass and bending to capitalism. She has done both.. last I talked with her, she was considering becoming a grade school teacher, and getting out of the field all together...

On the plus side, she has logged countless hours on board ships, and a ton of hours at great depth on-board a Johnson Sea Link among other vessels. She specializes in the Deep Ocean. She tries not to act like it, but she is rather a genius.. and that helps as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom