Southern Belize Needs Your Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So Belize is to remain a backwater state, turning down investment for future generations.

You really have to visit southern Belize to understand that overnight "eco-tourism" is working for them. The standard of living appears to me to be higher than Roatan or Guatemala (which we have also visited) and the services infrastructure is better. You encounter a mix of local nationals, ex-pats and visitors who mix well. Most importantly the environmental impact of development to support the local economy and provide services/attractions for tourists is minimal. I think southern Belize is better off continuing on this path than creating an infrastructure that supports large cruise ships.

It's also important to note that overnight eco-tourism and large cruise tourism are not compatible, and southern Belize is not set up at present to support the latter. The changes required to support large cruise ship tourism in southern Belize will make it much less attractive for visitors who come now. Unfortunately it's one way or the other and I for one would hate to see southern Belize become a large cruise ship destination rather than a place that those seeking a lower key, laid back atmosphere can enjoy (and spend their money)

So Belize is to remain a backwater state, turning down investment for future generations.

Yaay! It's another victory for illiteracy, crime and poverty!

Their thinking confuses the crap out of me, but luckily I don't live there.

This was a world-class opportunity to negotiate terms that would have produced the desired results, but instead was met with a hard "No! Go Away!", which means that NCL will either leave, and they'll have nothing, or build whatever they want, wherever they want, but cut out the locals, in which case they'll still have nothing.

All that has been stopped is the chance to negotiate a deal that would profit the people.

flots.

Last edited:
Flots, your opinion would appear to be reasonable. However, you don't know the area, the people or the politicians. Unfortunately, IMNSHO, your opinion is wrong. Yes, some few in Belize will do well from this. Probably Mr Singh for one!

Flots, your opinion would appear to be reasonable. However, you don't know the area, the people or the politicians. Unfortunately, IMNSHO, your opinion is wrong. Yes, some few in Belize will do well from this. Probably Mr Singh for one!

I don't need to live there to know that Belize has something that the cruise line wants, which means that the cruise line can be made to give up something Belize wants.

Even if your implication of corruption is true (I have no idea), even corrupt politicians are eager to toss money into the right places to make a deal go through smoothly. Maybe people should try to work with him instead of trying the Nancy Regan "Just Say No" approach.

And FWIW, my city had a corrupt mayor.

For 16 years.

He did more for the city than anybody else has, before or since.

Would you negotiate for something you don't want? Then why should they?

You really should spend a few hours reading up on the history of Belize to gain a better understanding of how government corruption works there as opposed to your city; otherwise you're comparing apples to oranges.

Have you heard of Lan Sluder? American expat living in Belize. Prolific travel writer. Very active on an internet Belize Board. Here's what he had to say about corruption in Belize a few years ago:

Belize isn’t Mexico. Petty bribery is rare. The average Belizean official wants respect, not a few bucks. But corruption certainly exists in Belize, especially at the higher levels of government. In the first months of 2005, accusations of alleged corruption were at the heart of a series of demonstrations and strikes against the party then in power, the People’s United Party headed by Prime Minister Said Musa. These culminated in demonstrations in Belize City, during which several people were injured, about 100 were arrested and some stores in the city centre were looted. Since then, further reports of government corruption and waste have come to light. The new United Democratic Party government, which won the 2008 national elections, is trying to prosecute some members of the former PUP government. The Old Boy network is alive and well in Belize, too. It’s accepted, even expected, that senior government officials will do favors for their cronies and family, everything from awarding lucrative contracts for cruise ship shore excursions to selling prime land at bargain basement prices. Not every government official takes advantage of office, but some do. Many expats in Belize get sick and tired of this aspect of Belize reality (especially since as non-voters they benefit not at all from the political corruption.)

Would you negotiate for something you don't want? Then why should they?

Would they rather have something they don't want, or something they don't want plus jobs and money?

That's really the choice.

Would they rather have something they don't want, or something they don't want plus jobs and money?

That's really the choice.

But that only works if the jobs and money come to the average person in Southern Belize and the "something they don't want" doesn't take away some of the jobs/money they have now.

But that only works if the jobs and money come to the average person in Southern Belize and the "something they don't want" doesn't take away some of the jobs/money they have now.

How exactly does having more tourists take away jobs?

Good Lord flots. We already told you, you don't understand and it's already been recommended that you do some research, otherwise your opinion means nothing.

Good Lord flots. We already told you, you don't understand and it's already been recommended that you do some research, otherwise your opinion means nothing.

Yeah, mine and the cruise company.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom