South Shore Boat Charter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No problem. Like I said, this could simply be a case of a weak website. However, it pays to be sure.

I vividly remember one boat that I used earlier this year. Someone else handled the booking.

The boat had no first aid kit or O2. My HP120's didn't fit in the racks, so that Captain had me store them in the bilge, which was filthy.

This was a nontechnical dive with my LDS' staffs' spouses/significant others. Accordingly, we were doing shallow wrecks.

The Captain could not find the Essex. This is hard to believe because the ship ran aground on Block Island. The bow is sticking out of the water on the beach.

The Captain also could not find the Lightburne. This is a 500+ foot long tanker that lies in 10 - 35 fsw. You find it by lining up a lighthouse and a marker buoy. Instead, the Captain jumped in the water and spent 45 minutes underwater looking for the wreck. He didn't find it, but he did find some fish to hunt. In the meantime, we were stuck on the boat.

The boat was a wreck. Her cabin was made out of plywood and his navigational equipment looked like it had been outmoded by the sextant.

Just an example of how a bad captain can ruin a good day of diving.

Someone at Al's shop recommended the guy I posted the info about.

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
I'll drop by and talk to Al (SS Diver shop owner) at some point too and see what he has to say.

After seeing the website, I wasn't instilled with great confidence, and emailed the captain with some questions. His response was what I opened the thread with. Here are the questions... decide for yourself how adequately they were answered.

I have several questions regarding your boat and operation, and will look forward to hearing back from you and sharing the information with the rest of the group.

I saw on your web page that your usual charter rate is $350/$550 Including fishing gear, bait, and tackle for all anglers and any type of fish. This seems to be specifically for fishing charters, and I wonder if the same pricing applies to dive charters where fishing is not the intent. What is your rate for diving, and how many divers do you have facilities to support on board?

What diving facilities does your boat afford?
Are there rinse buckets for gear?
How many tanks can safely be stored, and will they be in a position (bungied upright on benches for example) that will make it easy to put gear on?
Does The Fugitive have a shower?
Is emergency oxygen and first aid available?
Is there a swim platform astern, or just a ladder?
What about a scuba air compressor?
Do you provide food and beverages on your charters?

What level of PADI certification do you hold?
How long have you been a diver, and how many dives have you logged?
To what degree would you be prepared/willing to assist novice divers?
Would you be comfortable with technical divers doing deep dives and/or wreck penetrations from your vessel?

Are you familiar with local dive sites such as wreck locations, and do you have their coordinates?

What are your preferred operating hours, and would you be available for night dives if desired?

Oh, and for the record when we finally get to dive off my father's boat, I'm a MFA/Rescue certified First Responder (for what it's worth) and will have O2 and first aid on board.

If "your father's boat" really exists remains to be seen!!!! Starting to wonder there MSILVIA....

:wink:

And I thought this one season was bad...

So, did the guy ever respond to your questions (above)?

I thought the answer was before the question... Just thought it was me... Hope you have a fantastic Thanksgiving Matt!!

Back
Top Bottom