South Leyte Dive Service option in 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taki

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all divers.
As previous my thread, I am decided to stay in South Leyte during half of my early next years (February) solo dive holiday to Cebu.

After quick and not so deep search, I found 3 dive service there.
Peter's Dive Resort
South Leyte Divers
Sogod Bay Scuba Diving Resort

I also find Discovery 5, but no longer operated. And Gunters...I couldn't find much information.

I might stay up to 7 days in South Leyte. Which service should be better?
I guess all good, but if someone used one or more of them, could you give me an advice?
Include dive site, diving boat, whale shark snorkelling tour and food(bar) & accommodation at resort.

Cheers,

I can recommend sogod bay scuba resort. Rooms are basic but are clean, spacious and sit on the beach pretty much, though it's not really a beach, more like shale and pebbles. But wonderful morning views! Food there again is not bad for a back end part of Philippines. Mainly western foods with Asian twists! but chefs will cook u what u want within reason! There is wi fi and they guides take care of your gear v well.

Ok so the diving, I thought it was excellent. There is plenty of macro to be seen, incl Pygmy seahorses, mimic octopus and wonder pus, various ghost pipes, algae octopus, sea moths, and plenty nudis and frogfish. Plus get the timing right and there are whalesharks. The padre Burgos pier night dive is one of the best I have seen...blue ringed octopus, seahorses galore, star gazers etc etc

Recommended sites incl ghost town and little lembeh for muck dives, napantau for nice walls, tankaan and limasawa island for corals.

I didn't get to see whalesharks despite going in April, but that year there were no whalesharks from feb onwards!!

Peters resort was about 200m further down the road and looked decent.

Pedro and powicks are excellent guides and is what makes sogod bay scuba resort special.

Ps nothing much else to do in sogod bay. Few small bars, minimal restaurants, plenty land tours to do eg caves and jungles to explore.

Enjoy

There are whale sharks in Sogod Bay now. They've been around since late October, although a bit hit and miss due to a lack concentration of plankton near the surface, but I saw 4 yesterday just where they 'should' be. All being well they should be in the bay until May.

If you want to see whale sharks without doing a dive that day (diving with the whale sharks is not permitted) there are also operators who offer dolphin watching (saw about 200 yesterday), snorkeling, a visit to Limasawa Island and a great barbecue lunch on the beach as part of a whale shark watching tour.

Hi pughio83,

Thank you for your reply.
Well according to Tripadvisor, sogod bay scuba resort has more review and less negative review this year.
Interesting...
Since I visited in Manado Bunaken, I love macro and mack diving.
So this place sounds great great for me.

---------- Post added December 16th, 2012 at 12:50 PM ----------

Hi Wannadive64,

Thank you for your reply.
Well, Whale shark tour is just option.
I might do it once or two...II guess.
So main reason is diving there.
If I can see Whale shark during diving, that's really bonus I think.
I just hate bad operation for snorkelling tour with many guests and less organised staffs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom