South FL in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poolecw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I are looking at October week 1 for a trip to either key Largo or West Palm Beach. I have never been to south FL in October. Can you guys fill me in on the typical weather and diving conditions? Is it still "beach" weather in October?

Like anywhere, it’s getting cooler and windier. For locals, they start breaking out the warm clothing. For northerners, it’s likely similar to home in early July! :). So depends on your expectations.

Weather Spark is a great website for such questions.
Average Weather in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States, Year Round - Weather Spark

As for diving: like any time of year, it varies. It’s windier in October, so possibly bumpier. But that varies a *lot* no matter what time of year. It’s also hurricane season, in fact just past the peak of hurricane season. That brings it’s own unpredictability. Water temps are down from their peaks, too, but for a northern diver they’re plenty warm: 76-78 or so.

I have been traveling to Pompano Beach and Key Largo most every October (usually late October) for 10 years or so. I‘m told conditions are better in the summer. But conditions in Michigan are better, too, and I’d rather enjoy every bit of them at home.

So, is it peak conditions? No. Is it likely plenty good? I think so. Beach weather? Probably, but not guaranteed. But certainly better than home if you live up north! :)

Key Largo on average is a bit calmer in my experience. WPB usually hovers around 2-3 feet with an occasional 4 foot swell. YMMV obviously, depending on tropical weather at the time. 76-78 degree water seems rather low to me for the first week of October. I’d wager lower 80s is more accurate. It’s basically summer here until January.

Source: born, raised, currently live in S.FL.

South Florida in October is still summer-like . I agree water temps in the low 80's and I would
think that beach weather would be great . Have a great vacation !
Sea Dwellers

Sept and Oct are usually still great diving weather. The winter wind isn't usually too bad yet so marine conditions are usually OK.

I used to live in Palm Beach County and dove almost every Sat morning when marine conditions allowed. Jupiter and WPB diving is great, but it's all drift diving. October is usually a good time to see Goliath Grouper since they aggregate on the wrecks to spawn. If you're lucky, you can occasionally see 50 or 60 on one site. Even seeing 'just' a dozen is pretty impressive.

When I return to Florida for dive vacations, I usually go to the Keys since it is such a laid back dive-centric place. Diving is varied from shallow reefs and wrecks to fairly deep wrecks and a few deep reefs. I normally suggest people go to the Keys for their first FL dive experience. However, it's hard not to recommend WPB or Jupiter for the GG aggregation in Oct..... There's nothing quite like it

I guess it matters how deep you dive. I’ve never hit a minimum temp higher than 78 in Pompano or Key Largo. Never. But I only go down in late October through March, and I virtually never dive shallower than 70 feet... :)

Sadly, that basically describes my entire diving career. Several hundred dives, and less than 10 where the minimum temperature was above 79 degrees — maybe even less than five! :)

Great guys. Thank you all for the comments.

Looks like the only concern would be an increased chance of tropical storms or worse. Let's hope that's not the case!

At the mid-end Oct you can have very, very strong winds that would totally close diving. Most such weather is expected in Nov., but the last year it was early. Such winds can continue for 2-3 weeks easy. Water is still warm, though.

Can confirm that Largo is 2F warmer, always.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom