South Carolina Instructor drowns free diving - Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Friends remember local diving instructor after drowning death
Murrells Inlet, S.C. (WPDE) — A diving instructor with Express Watersports in Murrells Inlet, Christopher Chong, reportedly drowned during an accident while free diving.

One of the captains at Express Watersports says Chong was in Malaysia for a family member’s wedding when it happened.

ABC 15’s spoke with some of Chong's friends. They had nothing but good things to say about him and they all agree on one thing-- the community has lost someone very special.

Some knew him as Captain Christopher Chong, some called him Chris, but many just called him Chong.

“Chong was like the warmest dude that I ever met,” said Jon Stell who met Chong through a mutual friend.

When he wasn’t doing what he loved at work, he was doing more things he loved with people he loved.

“Going our through those seas with his tiny boat was probably the most terrifying thing I’ve ever done, but we made it out and caught more fish that day that we had ever caught going out of the inlet!” said Patrick "Packy" Ferro. They met at Coastal Carolina University four years ago.

(continued at link at top)

He's a local kid that grew up in my town in NJ. So young... sad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom