South Caribbean Cruise w/ Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverkristi

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We just booked a cruise (Princess) with a different S. Caribbean itinerary that I've never seen before, including Bonaire.

I have cruised several times and have found that with the right research you can save a bunch of cash by NOT doing shore excursions, but doing it on your own. I haven't been to ANY of these destinations, so I'm just starting that process.

Here is the itinerary:

San Juan
St Thomas
St Kitts
Grenada
Bonaire
Aruba

We'd probably like to dive most of the locations.

I just need to know when the boat docks in Bonaire (or any other location), are we better off to book the 2 boat dive for $99 with the cruise-line, or find a place and shore dive (I'm thinking that from all I have heard about Bonaire). Or what dive ops to use. Have done this effectively at other destinations in the past. Also interested in non-diving things to do and see as well.

We are going into Puerto Rico 2 days early to get some sight-seeing /diving there before taking off.

Please advise!

kristi hager:
I just need to know when the boat docks in Bonaire (or any other location), are we better off to book the 2 boat dive for $99 with the cruise-line, or find a place and shore dive (I'm thinking that from all I have heard about Bonaire). Or what dive ops to use. Have done this effectively at other destinations in the past. Also interested in non-diving things to do and see as well.
http://www.wannadivebonaire.com/

kristi hager:
Also interested in non-diving things to do and see as well.
http://www.washingtonparkbonaire.org/

Kristi,

There are a several options that come to mind. The easiest (cheapest) may be to walk up the street a few blocks to Divi and just shore dive off the resort.
If you look at this link, the 3rd dock is where your ship would most likely dock at (the pontoon boat is heading there) http://www.diviflamingo.com/diviflamingo/dive_svc.html
The another option would be to rent a car, rent tanks from Wannadive and drive to a site. This could take a good bit of time due, sometimes renting a car is not super fast.
Most all of the better sites are less than 15 minutes away so drive time to the sites is not a big deal. I would caution you on the northern sites, the road turns one way at Karpata and it can take a while to get back. I like Wannadive a lot but I would suggest you NOT dive at their Eden Beach site, it's my least favorite site on Bonaire.
The best option would be to meet up with someone who is already on the island and have them give you a ride. I know it's a little more of a long shot but having a vehicle already rented and a guide who knows where they are going would cut the time down a lot.
On the map below, your ship will most likely dock at the south pier.
http://www.skyviews.com/bonaire/townmap.html

Almost forgot, you have to do an orientation dive as your first dive. Make sure the dive shop you decide to use is willing to do one for you as soon as you arrive. Many shops do them at specific times of the day. They may make exceptions for cruise ships, don't know for sure.

Thanks. I've been e-mailing wannadive. Very helpful so far.

How about the other ports? Anybody have ideas and insight?

BTW, I've been on Princess. FANTASTIC CRUISE! I think THE BEST excursion I've been on with them was actually a catamaran cruise/snorkeling in Tortola. Not that much to see where we were, but the captain was HILARIOUS and gave us a good time, hands down. Princess is so far my favorite line. Carnival looked like a cheap ferry compared! (No offense to you Carnival lovers).

Bart and crew at Wannadive are really customer oriented and just plain nice people, I can't say enough good about them. I am confident whatever they promise you, they will do their best to deliver. I have never been to any of the other islands so I can't be of any help there.
When are you going to be on Bonaire- dates?

I'm sure Wannadive is covering this with you, but in general, there are a few logistical idiosyncrasies going on your own off a ship in Bonaire. The most significant of which is the marine park permit. Generally, the "rules" of obtaining that is you need to go out with a guide the first dive (to ensure proper buoyancy control). Not sure if you'd just be able to rent a car, grab tanks, pay your fee and go. That said, I'd jump through whatever hoops I had to in order to arrange diving on my own, even if I had to hire a private DM. The extended bottom times you can get and the other advantages here far outweigh the convenience of going with the cruise line.

Addressing the other ports... You mention you're going down two days early. If you want to dive, you'll want to stay outside San Juan. Best diving is not near there.

St. Thomas I'd do on your own. Recommend Chris Sawyer or Blue Island Divers.

St. Kitts and Aruba I don't have personal knowledge of, but I know there are some recommendations for Aruba dive ops which are cruiser friendly over on www.cruisecritic.com in their Ports of Call board.

In Grenada, I've not had good luck in setting up independent dives as of yet. There are some wonderful operators there, but seems the logistics haven't worked yet. If you experience the same difficulty, go with the ship's excursion and have a wonderful time. Gorgeous island. Make sure to get lots of spices. You won't believe how wonderful this island smells. But also don't be surprised at the level of devastation still apparent from Ivan in 2004.

Kristi,

Let me know what day you are coming in. I can let Wannadive know to expect you. You come of the ship and their shop is right there. You fill out the paperwork, purchase your marine park tag. You can then catch a ride to Eden Beach, do a boat dive, or you can dive almost anywhere along the main street with the exception of the piers (we have to follow 9/11 regs here too!). You can PM me and I can guide you through it!

Liz

aprils0909:
BTW, I've been on Princess. FANTASTIC CRUISE! I think THE BEST excursion I've been on with them was actually a catamaran cruise/snorkeling in Tortola. Not that much to see where we were, but the captain was HILARIOUS and gave us a good time, hands down. Princess is so far my favorite line. Carnival looked like a cheap ferry compared! (No offense to you Carnival lovers).

I have been on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I agree 110% on Carnival. Ticky tacky. I hope I like princess as much as RC. This is a brand new boat too. Crown Princess. I don't believe it's even in the water yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom